• Create Account

BulletManager, reflection from walls

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 oler117   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

Hello everybody! I'm trying to solve test task:

Given a list of segments (walls) , given the coordinates of two points on a two-dimensional space . Need to write a class BulletManager, which will include the following functions:

• void Update (float time), where time - global time of update in seconds. Function calculates the trajectory of bullets at a specified time and in contact with the wall, remove it from the list of segments . While hitting the wall, the bullet is reflected.
• void Fire (float2 pos, float2 dir, float speed, float time, float life_time), where pos - the starting position of the bullet in meters , dir - direction , speed - speed in meters per second , time - the shot in seconds , life_time - time to self-destruction bullets . This function adds a bullet in manager for further processing by an update .

Sorry for my English, the text above is google-translated.

I've made it, all is good, except of reflextion: bullet reflects, but not always correctly. Here is my function:

void BulletManager::Update(float time)
{
	for (int n = 0; n < bullets.size();)
	{
		auto bul = bullets.begin() + n;
		XMFLOAT2* bulDir = &bul->get()->GetDir();

float x = bul->get()->GetInitPosition().x + (bulDir->x * (time - bul->get()->GetTime()) * bul->get()->GetSpeed());
		float y = bul->get()->GetInitPosition().y + (bulDir->y * (time - bul->get()->GetTime()) * bul->get()->GetSpeed());
		XMFLOAT2 point = XMFLOAT2(x, y);
		bul->get()->SetPosition(point);

//Check bullet life time
		if (bul->get()->GetLifeTime() - (time - bul->get()->GetTime()) <= 0.0f)
		{
			bullets.erase(bul);
			n--;
			continue;
		}

//Check, if bullet collides with sides
		for (int i=0; i<SidesCoordList.size(); i++)
		{
			if ( IsIntersecting(SidesCoordList[i], point, 1.0f) )
			{
				//Calculating normal vector for current side
				float A = abs(SidesCoordList[i].point1.y - SidesCoordList[i].point2.y);
				float B = abs(SidesCoordList[i].point2.x - SidesCoordList[i].point1.x);
				XMFLOAT2 normal = XMFLOAT2(A, B);
				normal = XMFLOAT2(normal.x / Calculations::VecLength(normal), normal.y / Calculations::VecLength(normal));

//Calculating angles to get reflected directional vector
				float alpha = atan(A/B);
				float beta = acos(bulDir->x);
				float gamma = XM_PIDIV2 - (alpha - beta);
				float theta = beta + 2*gamma + XM_PI;

//Setting new direction (after reflection)
				bul->get()->GetDir() = Calculations::RotateVector(bul->get()->GetDir(), theta);

bul->get()->GetInitPosition() = bul->get()->GetPosition();
				bul->get()->GetTime() = time;
			}
		}
		n++;
	}
}

What's wrong with my code?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Eck   Members   -  Reputation: 2036

1Likes

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

It looks like you're repeating some work when you erase bullets. Since your n++ is at the end of your for loop's contents, the flow is something like this for a size 3 list where the 2nd bullet is too old.

* do bullet[0] work;

* bullet[1] is too old, erase him, --i;

* do bullet[0] work again

* do bullet[1] work (originally bullet[2]);

So you might wind up doing the reflection logic twice, or move twice as fast "skipping" a frame.

And in you're sets at the end, you're using get functions which is weird to me.

// earlier in your code you use this to set position
bul->get()->SetPosition(point);

// Then later in your code you're setting with code like this:
bul->get()->GetTime() = time;

I didn't check the math of your reflection code yet. I'm on vacation! :) Make sure y is going the direction you think it should. By default in drawing, +y is down the screen, but in math +y is up.

If this didn't help, what is the problem you're seeing in you're reflection?

- Eck

#3 oler117   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

It looks like you're repeating some work when you erase bullets

Yeah, I didn't point that. Thanks, I've corrected.

you're using get functions which is weird to me
I store my bullet as smart pointer in vector: vector<shared_ptr<Bullet>>, and I use common get() function: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/memory/shared_ptr/get/

By default in drawing, +y is down the screen, but in math +y is up
I know, but I use Left-Handed coordinate system, where +y is up. By the way, if I replace my reflection code with function from xnamath.h
XMVector2Reflect(vecBulDir, vecNormal)

all works correctly. But my task is to write my own reflection sad.png

#4 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13164

1Likes

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

If you want a more stable loop in which you will need to delete things, use this:
for (int n = bullets.size(); --n >= 0;)
Then you can avoid hacky n-- code in the loop body, plus it’s faster too.

Also, I’ve recently just explained why std::shared_ptr is bad for your health.  You should drop it and find an alternative or write your own game-friendly shared pointer.

Finally, a reflection vector.
Given an Incident vector I (the direction of the bullet) and the Normal vector N, a Reflect function can be made as follows:

VECTOR Reflect( const VECTOR & I, const VECTOR N ) {
    return I - 2.0f * dot( N, I ) * N;
}
This is exactly the same as calling XMVector2Reflect(), so if XMVector2Reflect( vecBulDir, vecNormal ) works, Reflect( vecBulDir, vecNormal ) works.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 28 November 2013 - 05:28 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#5 oler117   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

L. Spiro, thanks! Now reflection works fine. Interesting and useful story about shared_ptr smile.png 

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS