• Create Account

Can you use alpha to coverage with instancing and a geometry shader?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 AussieSpoon   Members   -  Reputation: 184

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Hello,

I am trying to set up alpha to coverage in DirectX 11. I am currently rendering a particle system using instancing and a geometry shader, so that I pass in a point (1 vert) to render all the particles of that particle system. This is what it looks like:

8GKe8lA.png

I'm trying to set up alpha to coverage but I can't seem to do so. I am getting a problem where it renders a black quad at the particle systems position

Here is the Alpha to coverage blend state:

D3D11_BLEND_DESC alphaToCoverageDesc = {0};
alphaToCoverageDesc.AlphaToCoverageEnable = true;
alphaToCoverageDesc.IndependentBlendEnable = false;
alphaToCoverageDesc.RenderTarget[0].BlendEnable = false;
alphaToCoverageDesc.RenderTarget[0].RenderTargetWriteMask = D3D11_COLOR_WRITE_ENABLE_ALL;

result = device->CreateBlendState(&alphaToCoverageDesc, &AlphaToCoverageBS);

And this is what it looks like:

P9YhyWI.png

Even when I try to imitate it within the pixel shader with dithering it produces a similar error:

VZlcE4Q.png

So I was wondering if it has anything to do with instancing or the geometry shader? I can't imagine it is but I have no idea. Any one think of any reason for this. 

If this is too vague just say

Thanks 

Edited by AussieSpoon, 29 November 2013 - 09:11 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11306

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Alpha-to-coverage should work fine with instancing and/or a geometry shader. Is your call to CreateBlendState succeeding?

#3 AussieSpoon   Members   -  Reputation: 184

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

Is your call to CreateBlendState succeeding?

Yeah, result = S_OK

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS