City of Munich migrated to Linux

Started by
35 comments, last by ChaosEngine 10 years, 4 months ago

Interesting:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-munich-rejected-steve-ballmer-and-kicked-microsoft-out-of-the-city/

Advertisement

I will never ever even remotely considering going to Munich at all in my life. Ever.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Here we go again.

All I am going to say this - they locked themselves into their own customized version of Linux, which they are going to have to pay quite a bit of $$ to devs later future when they want to upgrade their systems.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Meh".

Sounds like they've spent a long time to save a little money and ended up with a problematic replacement system; pretty much what anyone who has tried to use most open-source software whilst still forced to use our interact with proprietary counterparts could (probably would) have told them before they started.

If they're happy with the move then good for them, but I just don't really care personally, and I think given the difficulty and problems involved it's unlikely to be an example many others will try to follow.

- Jason Astle-Adams

So.... some offices use some operating system. Um.... so what? I don't care at all what OS the local grocery store is using. I guess I have to read again, but I don't quite get why, except for the workers of the local government, should care at all.

I will never ever even remotely considering going to Munich at all in my life. Ever.

L. Spiro

Not sure if you're trying to be funny...

Why? It's a nice town. Good food, nice beer, some beautiful scenery, especially in winter.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Not sure if you're trying to be funny...

Why? It's a nice town. Good food, nice beer, some beautiful scenery, especially in winter.

To be quite honest, ignoring the Linux thing, I’m not really interested in virtually any city/place on Earth outside of Japan.
Hong Kong, New York, London, Shenzhen, Paris (already been), Sydney, and Seoul are basically it. Anywhere else I would only visit for a specific purpose such as SIGGRAPH or ghost hunting, etc., not just for the sake of visiting.

Your list of reasons to go there appeals to a fairly wide and standard audience, but I have a different set of reasons for a place to be interesting etc., and for a few good reasons.
As a super taster I am fairly picky about foods and prefer to stick to foods I have already discovered not to overwhelm my taste buds. When I lived in France the pizza was great because of the cheese, but I still tend to stick closely enough to my standard diet that food is of no motivation at all for visiting a place. Besides, I am fairly sure ramen is my favorite food, but shrimp is pretty close.

Because I am a super taster I do not drink beer, and I don’t believe such a thing exists as “nice” beer.

And “scenery” as most people define it simply depresses me, reminding me of growing up far away from civilization on a farm in the middle of nowhere in Kansas.
Good scenery to me is a jungle of tall buildings, reminding me that I finally got out of that nowhere town and into civilization.

Besides, my acting jobs take me to a lot of scenic places in Japan that fill any void I have for that kind of thing:

901058_10151477479271470_352702619_o.jpg

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Your loss tongue.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

So.. migrating to Linux instead of upgrading to Windows XP in late 2013..

How safe is Linux as an Open Source OS system?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement