• Create Account

what do u think of this game story

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 jason8594   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

It starts on a ship name  ventris at the end of a campaign that Uriel just lead and he realise that his ship ventris has been bored by the dark elder  

He then has to lead a repealing party to save the ship before they reach their home world to prevent the dark elder from  access to codex of the emperor  that will open a apocalypses gate

They don’t repeal the dark elder and the the fight change to the home world from the ship then it becomes a fight against the clock to see who get the codex then they fail to get the codex and the gate is opened and it becomes a mass universal battle between the dark elder and the neocons and chaos and triydis  then in heroic fashion the srgt then get the codex off the dark elder lord named Asdrubael Vect, Archon of the Kabal 

IT is for a course i am doing

Edited by jason8594, 02 December 2013 - 09:19 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10158

1Likes

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

Moving this to the Writing forum.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 jason8594   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

MOD: duplicate threads merged.

Edited by sunandshadow, 01 December 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#4 randisking   Members   -  Reputation: 110

1Likes

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

It is very confusing. You are throwing around a lot of names and terms that seem specific to your game world without any setup or back story whatsoever. Usually in writing if you are going to kick off a story without much back story first, you want to try to keep from getting too specific on names, places, etc but instead ease the reader (or gamer) into the mythos of your world. And you are moving at a rapid pace with these problems. Consider expanding drastically on your concept, as it seems to be something that is supposed to take place over an entire game, and not just the opening scenes of it. I would suggest to make bullet points out of what you've written and try to fill in a good deal of the missing details that tell us more about these characters and places in order to make us care about them.

#5 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5057

2Likes

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

BY5IcL1CIAAtO4f.jpg

Wow... much terms... such little context... what are dark eldar?  very confuze...  apocalypse gate...?  wow, sound scary...

codex is book...?  who is neocons...?  doge is 404 error, try again later.

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#6 jason8594   Members   -  Reputation: 104

-1Likes

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

It starts on a ship name  ventris at the end of a campaign that Uriel just lead and he realise that his ship ventris has been bored by the dark elder  

He then has to lead a repealing party to save the ship before they reach their home world to prevent the dark elder from  access to codex of the emperor  that will open a apocalypses gate

They don’t repeal the dark elder and the the fight change to the home world from the ship then it becomes a fight against the clock to see who get the codex then they fail to get the codex and the gate is opened and it becomes a mass universal battle between the dark elder and the neocons and chaos and triydis  then in heroic fashion the srgt then get the codex off the dark elder lord named Asdrubael Vect, Archon of the Kabal

it is a idea and a draft for now

#7 BitMaster   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4431

2Likes

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:36 AM

Well, considering you are wildly infringing on Games Workshop's IP, the only way this project will happen is if is never published anywhere. GW is extremely picky and C&D-happy, the moment they hear about it, you can be sure it will be shut down.

#8 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10158

0Likes

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

you are wildly infringing on Games Workshop's IP

To the OP: you had best not use the names of characters, ships, planets/kingdoms, or other terminology or lore specific to someone else's IP.

Read http://sloperama.com/advice/faq61.htm

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#9 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2763

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:41 AM

You should avoid leaning on other people's IP, like Dark Eldar, as already mentioned. You can surely invent something more personal to fill the same general role of evil crazy race.

A standard MacGuffin plot (in this case keeping the codex safe or stealing it to unleash its apocalyptic power) is an appropriate justification for a sequence of varied battles: units vary because multiple factions join the contest, form and break alliances, get reinforcements, send different armies, etc. without losing hope, while environments and objectives vary as the current MacGuffin holder moves it around.

The story is suitable for a wargame, or possibly a RPG; avoid pointless complications (do you need "neocons and chaos and triydis", whoever they are, in addition to Dark Eldar bad guys and Ventris Ship good guys?) and repetitive fights without meaningful developments (a "mass universal battle" doesn't sound necessarily fun) .
Produci, consuma, crepa

#10 James DeWitt   Members   -  Reputation: 127

2Likes

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Simplicity is key. Sum up the plot in a sentence or two. The other details will develop throughout the games development.. Keep it simple, keep it concise, and keep it short. Here's an example of how a convoluted story concept can turn a player off. I will use the original Mario Bros. as an example. "You are an Italian plumber named Mario. Your love interest, the ruler of a place called The Mushroom Kingdom,Princess Peach, is kidnapped by an evil Turtle named Bowser. You must navigate your way through sewer pipes, swim through an ocean , and jump the tops of mountainous mushrooms in order to find the castle where the princess is being held hostage. Along the way you must fight evil turtles and mushrooms as well as collect special powers hidden inside bricks which you must smash with your head. You eventually destroy the evil Bowser and rescue the princess. "

Sounds absurd, right? Here is the story of Mario simplified.

"You are a plumber named Mario. The love of your life, a Princess, is kidnapped and held hostage deep somewhere deep within the sewer system. You have to save her".

That is the story of Mario simplified. Forget all the turtles and mushrooms. Make the plot simple and the rest will fall into place during development. 

#11 vern1204   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

I kinda got lost of what's going on in the middle of the story. It's good and really interesting and I can tell you have given it quite a thought but I agree that you need to keep things simple, maybe finding a middle way is a good piece of advise?

I personally like having a vivid lore that evolves around the whole point of the game. I guess it all depends on the genre and your audience: when it comes to a simple platform game, simplicity is the key, but proper mmorpg players may expect the story to evolve, and later to build up with time.

Good luck!

Edited by vern1204, 19 January 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#12 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20999

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Have you tried forming a Story Spine for your plot?

I've found that it sometimes helps give more definition to your work, at least in your mind when thinking about it, even if it doesn't change your plot.

Or you can try a ten-point plot outline.

As it is, you may have a clearer idea in your head about your world and plot... but if you can't communicate it clearly to your readers/players/viewers, it can't ever leave your head and enter ours.

Part of communication is definitely proper punctuation and spelling - it doesn't have to be grammar-nazi perfect, but it does have to have at least a minimum amount of effort put in - it's just common courtesy to present the information neatly and well-formatted. It'll make you a better writer as well, if you use every opportunity to write properly.

It'll get you better, more-serious, responses instead of cat and dog pictures.

Another big part of written communication is not throwing too many unknowns at your readers at once, and every unknown that you do throw at your readers, you either need to explain it immediately or else explain (to the reader) that it won't be explained until later.

If I say, "Samil captured Moka and gained possession of The Single Necklace", that is utter gibberish and makes no sense to any readers... until they know and fear Samil, know and love Moka, and understand and respect the The Single Necklace.

Without explaining these names, my readers wouldn't understand and wouldn't care about those three names.

But if I explain the names, building up their meaning over an entire book, it makes a huge difference. Observe:

Spoiler

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 20 January 2014 - 01:07 AM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS