• Create Account

iOS games everyone should play

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2368

0Likes

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

I recently started learning iOS programming, and I have been looking for good games as examples to study.  There are so many games out there, so I was wondering, what are your favorite iOS games?

I've only played "The Room" which I really enjoyed.  What are some other examples of good games to study?

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16204

0Likes

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Each genre has its own set of notable games. So we don't list notable shooters when you are looking for notable gem matching games, what genre are you interested in?
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2368

0Likes

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Each genre has its own set of notable games. So we don't list notable shooters when you are looking for notable gem matching games, what genre are you interested in?

I wasn't looking to focus in on any genre in particular.  If I had to narrow it down, a list of the top 10 indie games would probably be a good place to start.  Having never owned a an iPad, I am imagining that in the last few years there have been some games that shouldn't be missed.

Mostly, I was just looking for some ideas about games to try that are good examples of the versatility of the iPad for games.  On the PC, I've been playing indie games, like Thomas Was Alone, Fez, FTL, Quantum Conundrum, Hotline Miami, and that sort of thing.

Edited by Glass_Knife, 02 December 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#4 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16204

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

In that case nothing specific springs to mind. There are many great games out there; just search Google for "list of top iPhone games" and you can see many popular opinions.

If you are looking from a designer perspective you should be at least passingly familiar with every game on the top 100 lists visible in the store. The lists are fairly static with only four or five new contenders every week. If you don't count repeat entries like 'Angry Birds 27: LEGO Birds" you only have one or two new entries per week, so once you have learned about each one staying current on the major games isn't hard.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#5 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2368

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

For the curious, I settled on these to start:

Sword & Sworcery

Device 6

Machinarium

Kingdom Rush

Super Hexagon

Beat Sneak Bandit

Unfortunately, I started with super hexagon, and I can't put that down.

#6 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1119

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

For the curious, I settled on these to start:

Sword & Sworcery

Device 6

Machinarium

Kingdom Rush

Super Hexagon

Beat Sneak Bandit

Unfortunately, I started with super hexagon, and I can't put that down.

Thanks for the list. I didn't know that machinarium existed for android. Sword & Sworcery is awesome. Super hexagon is not bad. Other ones I will still have to try out.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS