• Create Account

Looking for the best Graphic Library to use with C# (No Xna Please)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zeffrit   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for the best Graphic Library to use with C# for the developing of 2D games. No 3D aspects are needed in any way, even in the future. I do not want to use Xna because Microsoft has abandoned it, and it will no longer be developed upon. I need a Graphic Library which includes support for everything relating to 2D game development at a minimum at least (Graphics, Audio, etc.). And has plenty of resources for learning.

Thanks,

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17734

4Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

How about MonoGame?

It's an open-sourced port of XNA that's still being actively maintained and developed, and it's already been used in some pretty cool gamessmile.png

#3 Zeffrit   Members   -  Reputation: 119

1Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

I actually had that suggested before, and looked into it. The only problem is that there doesn't really seem to be any resources on learning it.

#4 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17734

1Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

There some good links on the documentation page, and this brief introduction for XNA programmers.  Thanks to the similarities to XNA, it should also be relatively easy to convert lessons from any XNA tutorials for use with MonoGame.

#5 Inisheer   Members   -  Reputation: 273

4Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:56 AM

Take a look at the SharpDX Toolkit as well. It's what I use and it works very very well.

http://sharpdx.org/

#6 DvDmanDT   Members   -  Reputation: 835

1Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:58 AM

For tutorials and resources, go XNA/MonoGame. For 2D, it should be the same. MonoGame is pretty much designed as a drop-in replacement for XNA, so almost any tutorial related to XNA should also apply to MonoGame. There's also Gorgon at http://tape-worm.net/ but I've never tried it and it's no where near as popular as XNA so probably less resources. Feature set looks nice though.

#7 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3972

1Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

MonoGame is the best option I see, even though I never heard of SharpDX or Gorgon the above posters mentioned, may be promising.

The problem is XNA is a microsoft product (discontinued) and C# is also a microsoft product. They worked pretty well together and people really didn't consider other options since this combo was actually pretty good. Now that Microsoft killed XNA, C# game development weakened; it'll be several months until other C# engines get to the level of XNA.

You can search Engine Lists like this one for other possibilities on C# though.

Still, as you only need a Graphics Library, as you said yourself, you can always use a C/C++ library port such as C# SDL.

Edited by dejaime, 03 December 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#8 dilyan_rusev   Members   -  Reputation: 884

1Likes

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

I'd also second SharpDX - if you stick to the lowest possible versions of Direct2D/WIC and you compile for 3.5, your game's installer will basically copy-paste a few files to the target machine (Win7+, could work Vista if you lower the .NET version to 3.0). You no longer need to install the DirectX runtime & WIC, as they are is included in the OS.

However, programming SharpDX requires you to know a lot more about the underlying operating system, and on more than a few places - P/Invoke and Win32 mastery :) Also, what I dislike about SharpDX very much is that every HRESULT is mapped to an exception - even for some pretty routine failing conditions that shouldn't require try-catch blocks. Other than that, the combo of D2D + DWrite + WIC is quite good for 2D games.

#9 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1007

2Likes

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

I use monogame myself right now. There's no need to find documentation about it, as it really just works like xna.

The only thing lacking is the content pipeline, so you have to load your stuff yourself. But in case of a 2d situation, That's a one-liner thing anyways.

SharpDX is cool, too. Monogame uses it, too :)

If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

#10 SeraphLance   Members   -  Reputation: 1305

1Likes

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

The problem is XNA is a microsoft product (discontinued) and C# is also a microsoft product. They worked pretty well together and people really didn't consider other options since this combo was actually pretty good. Now that Microsoft killed XNA, C# game development weakened; it'll be several months until other C# engines get to the level of XNA.

Actually, the SharpDX Toolkit is pretty much a walk-in replacement feature-for-feature that I've seen.  A few things work differently, but it's mostly the same and at an identical level of abstraction.  I haven't used MonoGame at all, but it was supposed to replace XNA on mono platforms by design, so it should do the same.

OP:  I'd recommend either for your purposes.

#11 Zeffrit   Members   -  Reputation: 119

1Likes

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

I appreciate all the feedback, it's given me a lot to look into and consider. I've actually been looking into SFML with C# bindings. What is your opinion on this? And does anyone know resources for learning it?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS