• Create Account

[Component Entity System] Components design

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 BuschmannMichael   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

I work currently with Java and Artemis on a small game.

I use an component entity system(Artemis) and Slick2D.

Now I wonder me, how I handle Entities like Terraria the Skelektron:

6r62ko89.png

It have 2 hands and one head, the hands and the head have own positions, transformations, sprites and health, but one entity can only have one component from each type.

Now I dont know, how I should handle this, should a make 3 different components(Thats bad, because they all have the same data) or what should I do ?

Sponsor:

#2 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2361

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Is it possible to include components within components?

Waterlimon (imagine this is handwritten please)

#3 Samith   Members   -  Reputation: 1946

1Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

I would have three separate entities (one for the head, left hand and right hand) and each entity would have all the requisite components. I don't see much advantage in trying to cram the head and hands into one entity when they act as though they're separate entities (in that each has their own position/health).

#4 nfactorial   Members   -  Reputation: 718

1Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

There are two approaches really. The first, as Samith says above, is to separate it into three different entities. The second is the opposite and put them into one component.

I personally (looking at the screenshot) would veer more towards a single component, as you wouldn't normally create a character with their various appendages in separate components. All this is, is a character that just scaled up larger than the others. However, its mostly a matter of opinion and mine is based on a screenshot with no further details. For example, if the arms/hands move completely independently of the head then I would veer back towards separate entities.

n!

#5 BuschmannMichael   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Is it possible to include components within components?

No.

#6 BuschmannMichael   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

Ok I think, I make 3 different entities.

Thanks.

#7 BuschmannMichael   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks.

But if someone have another idea, write it :D

#8 avision   Members   -  Reputation: 155

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks.

But if someone have another idea, write it biggrin.png

Make them three component sand another entity the "nature of the beast"-entity and let it own the three with an ownage-component! Terraria the entity has a head and hands, also entites. So each could take damage and Terriaria after lossing hands and head could decide to respawn as a dog..

#9 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 27677

0Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Is Entity a Component?
i.e. can an Entity own an Entity as a member?

#10 crancran   Members   -  Reputation: 355

1Likes

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

Make them three component sand another entity the "nature of the beast"-entity and let it own the three with an ownage-component! Terraria the entity has a head and hands, also entites. So each could take damage and Terriaria after lossing hands and head could decide to respawn as a dog..

This approach is quote common in games where a boss encounter includes several NPCs that all share a common health pool or where certain fight mechanics shouldn't occur while another mechanic is currently active.

Edited by crancran, 04 December 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#11 Subtle_Wonders   Members   -  Reputation: 225

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:19 AM

Is Entity a Component?
i.e. can an Entity own an Entity as a member?

http://gamadu.com/artemis/javadoc/index.html

Component is an abstract, can only extend once. That's why it can not be used within itself.

Entity is a final class (same thing as saying a constant class if compared to C++).

Entity is also protected, which means it can not be used outside of it's derived class but can be used within a nested class (unlike String in the Java SE framework).

I'm still new at this but I'm going to guess the answer being no mainly because of three factors: 1) entity is final, 2) entity is not an interface, 3) is protected.

If I'm wrong, please explain as I am interested in learning why.  Thanks.

Edited by Subtle_Wonders, 29 December 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#12 NoAdmiral   Members   -  Reputation: 503

0Likes

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Could you use a component to defer incoming messages to another entity, thereby establishing a parent-child entity relationship? Perhaps each hand could respond to incoming messages and then forward them to the head, which would then respond accordingly.

Example:

DamageMessage->hand.MessageHandler (hand doesn't have health component) -> ChildComponent -> ForwardMessageToParentEntity

the parent entity could handle the basic message (which is to take damage).

I don't know how others are making their component-entity systems, and I'm only using this strategy for the first time, so mine might be built quite differently than yours, and thus handle situations differently.

Just my thoughts.

Inspiration from my tea:

"Never wish life were easier. Wish that you were better" -Jim Rohn

herwrathmustbedragons.tumblr.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS