• Create Account

Don't know where to start

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrIceBerg   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:13 AM

I am into game programming and game design but I don't know where to start. I am more experience in programming than design, so I would prefer any engine that uses programming languages such as c++ or python. Also any tips for beginner Game Devs?

Sponsor:

#2 ram090   Members   -  Reputation: 129

-1Likes

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:20 AM

How much experience do you have, what's your knowledge of OpenGL/DirectX. Do you understand the maths/spacial representation of 2D/3D games?  Have you a solid grasp on OO programming and design. Have you looked at the OGRE source code for example, what did you think of it, it's possibly the most advanced source code that is available (open source).

If your wanting to get a job at a game company you could specialize in on area, such as Graphics, UI, Networking, AI, Physics etc. Do you have any friends or a computer club you can go to.

#3 pyirrlicht   Members   -  Reputation: 617

1Likes

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:06 AM

Allegro - for 2D and Irrlicht - for 3D. All examples is good for education game programming.

Answer from this topic

#4 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2960

1Likes

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

You could use a beginner tutorial series such as that one on fixbyproximity.com.

Later you can go ahead and get an intermediate book such as Game Coding Complete (which, btw, is very good).

After that you'll probably know enough to choose what to study...

Also, don't go for DirectX and OpenGL just yet; they are considerably harder than using a simpler engine.

Edited by dejaime, 08 December 2013 - 07:25 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS