• Create Account

Relinquish cpu

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1844

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm implementing a wait() function, which I want to be multiplatform, and hopefully not use sleep().

Are there any functions on win and linux that allows you to just relinquish cpu time immediately?

I realize that sleep() does this, but I want to know what the alternatives are?

I'm guessing there are none, but I'm asking anyways.

Sponsor:

#2 codenine75a   Validating   -  Reputation: 1

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

I do not like the sleep function because it causes a fixed delay.  I would loop a little bit and use the clock function.  It is under the ctime namespace or I believe time.h

#3 SeanMiddleditch   Members   -  Reputation: 3857

4Likes

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

pthread_yield on Linux and most UNIXes and SwitchToThread on Win32. If you're using only recent c++ toolchains you can also use std::this_thread::yield().

#4 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 18832

3Likes

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Neither system is a real-time operating system.  You can yield your time, but there are no guarantees about when the OS will reschedule you.

In fast-paced games usually the best bet is to wait for the screen buffer to flip. The major rendering APIs have blocking calls for that.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS