• Create Account

Where to start

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 jrclark1   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:29 AM

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions to my previous thread. Since it seems that everyone's suggestion was that I needed to create my own game, I am now asking where should I start. I will be taking several c++ programming classes this coming spring. I also have already gotten both unity and UDK. Which would you recommend to start out with? I am just trying to get a game plan together and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3475

2Likes

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

If you are taking C++ classes, I wouldn't recommend either. UDK is a bit overkill for small projects and Unity focuses on C#.
If you want to take one of the two, I'd say Unity as a start out learning experience, C# is easy after you get around C++ in your classes. You could even use C++ for Unity afaik, but I guess that wouldn't make much sense; not without a source code license.
But you could consider free 2D game engines for C++. There are several, IndieLib, Allegro, Angel2D, and they all have beginners tutorials and resources just like UDK and Unity. But that is me talking, based on personal experience.

Edited by dejaime, 19 December 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#3 wicked357   Members   -  Reputation: 1141

2Likes

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Firstly do you know any C++ or programming at all for that matter? If the answer is no, I recommend not jumping into graphics at all, you will find you are going to be overwhelmed and feel like you just don't get it. I didn't make my first graphics game till after a year of programming using DirectX and that was a challenge still. My honest suggestion is start off really really small like a console like game learning data structures, OOP, don't focus on learning programming and how to use an engine at the same time. If you do know programming my recommendation is the same cause you are still taking classes which means you probably haven't scratched the service. Those are just my 2-cents.

I do like your ambition and you shouldn't lose that at all, but to save yourself an overwhelming painful start you should focus on your studies and just being able to write the code in the projects you are going to be given in class. So it would be wise to start learning now doing online tutorials and following guides. If you need projects to I am sure someone on here can give you examples. If you want to focus on the game route still, start with a text based console game as a target and think about what needs to go into those, or think about a ATM like application using data structures to hold arrays of bank information.

If you don't like what I said, then dejaime gave some good suggestions ;) Happy coding.

#4 jrclark1   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

[quote name="wicked357" post="5118150" timestamp="1387470314"]Firstly do you know any C++ or programming at all for that matter?

I have only minimal experience with programming. I've done some visual logic, and some java. The classes I will be taking are all in C++. Another class I will be taking is computer graphics which teaches openGL. I'm really looking forward to that. You are right though I can't try to take on too much before I get the basics down. I will focus on my C++ programming and data structures before jumping into graphics. I thank you for your assistance and advice.

#5 Nathan2222   Members   -  Reputation: -403

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

If you have any c++ problems, you can ask on the cplusplus forum(they're awesome . . . just helped me solve a persistent problem).
UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
:)
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#6 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2902

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

Hi,

Since it seems that everyone's suggestion was that I needed to create my own game, I am now asking where should I start. I will be taking several c++ programming classes this coming spring. I also have already gotten both unity and UDK. Which would you recommend to start out with?

[Edited:]

Take those courses first then flip a coin for one of those two excellent game engines. 

Edited by 3Ddreamer, 19 December 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS