• Create Account

"mygame.exe is not commonly downloaded"...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 xbattlestation   Members   -  Reputation: 320

1Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

I've put a download (not currently public) of my game on my website, but I get the following message in Chrome, and a similar one in IE when I download it:

Hlz2tEq.png

What can I do to make this process nicer for downloaders?

I've done a bit of searching, and found three possible answers, none of them concrete though:

• Register site with Google's Webmaster Tools - I've done this, and I guess I may have to wait a few days for it to process.  I'm not yet convinced this will actually change the "not commonly downloaded" message though.
  • Wait until the .exe is downloaded x number of times - I read somewhere once it is downloaded 20 times (or some similar number), this message will go away.  Again, not convinced.
  • Digitally sign my installer - So again I'm not convinced this will actually change the "not commonly downloaded" message, I think it will change the "install program from xyz" message that comes later?  Also, what is the point in signing my program if I'm going to be providing regular updates?

Right now I'm just providing instructions to get around these nasty messages.  If anyone has actual experience with removing this message, please let me know what you did!

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - 2D aerial combat WIP | DarklightXNA on Twitter | 2DFlightSim on Youtube

Sponsor:

#2 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2129

3Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:10 AM

Just send it to a compressed zip file and upload it.

#3 xbattlestation   Members   -  Reputation: 320

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

Th

Thanks but I'm looking for the 'correct' way of sharing a .exe
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - 2D aerial combat WIP | DarklightXNA on Twitter | 2DFlightSim on Youtube

#4 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2129

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:40 AM

Th

Thanks but I'm looking for the 'correct' way of sharing a .exe

Considering transmitting .exe files through email usually fails if you just attach them, and smaller downloads are better for servers and user bandwidth, I don't see the harm in transmitting through the internet this way.

#5 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4839

5Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

Yep, the 'correct' way of sharing .exes is not sharing plain .exes at all but wrapping them in a compressed file or an installer.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#6 xbattlestation   Members   -  Reputation: 320

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:32 AM

Yep, the 'correct' way of sharing .exes is not sharing plain .exes at all but wrapping them in a compressed file or an installer.

I have an installer, it is an .exe smile.png

Considering transmitting .exe files through email usually fails if you just attach them, and smaller downloads are better for servers and user bandwidth, I don't see the harm in transmitting through the internet this way.

The file is 50MB - too big for email.

Edited by xbattlestation, 21 December 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#7 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5503

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

Wait until the .exe is downloaded x number of times - I read somewhere once it is downloaded 20 times (or some similar number), this message will go away.

Would that be the NSA watching the number of downloads and letting users know locally about the relative safety, or is there some murkier global organization involved?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#8 xbattlestation   Members   -  Reputation: 320

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

Would that be the NSA watching the number of downloads and letting users know locally about the relative safety, or is there some murkier global organization involved?

Yes, there is - Microsoft, in the case of Ie, and google for chrome.

#9 jjd   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2122

4Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

I have an installer, it is an .exe smile.png

Then you should consider making an MSI instead. It is pretty bad idea to download a *.exe.

-Josh

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

#10 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5039

3Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

I wonder that people actually object to offering an executable which is an installer for download. When, at the same time, mainstream companies like Adobe and even FOSS portals like Sourceforge not only do the same, but even worse.

They distribute executables that will download content from untrusted sources without any possibility to verify or control what is being downloaded, and they use drive-by installs (mostly McAfee or Ask) to which the user "consents" by not reading the small print. But... that's OK.

Also, offering a zip file with an executable or a MSI is really none more secure. It's the same thing. You get to execute/install something, no matter how this is a risk.

Back to topic: Signing your executable will at least help you with Internet Explorer, though not immediately (however, it seems that without signing, you'll never get rid of that message, since "reputation" is based on the certificate). It might be worth trying to do a virus scan on your computer and/or uploading it to Virustotal.com since Antivirus companies usually have a way of back-communicating info on scanned executable files (if enabled, that is). Microsoft states that they include listings from AV software in their consideration, so it might actually help having your software "seen" by them.

#11 richardurich   Members   -  Reputation: 1187

1Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

I wonder that people actually object to offering an executable which is an installer for download. When, at the same time, mainstream companies like Adobe and even FOSS portals like Sourceforge not only do the same, but even worse.

They distribute executables that will download content from untrusted sources without any possibility to verify or control what is being downloaded, and they use drive-by installs (mostly McAfee or Ask) to which the user "consents" by not reading the small print. But... that's OK.

This is a solution to prevent future browser warnings though. If you have an installer that doesn't change often that downloads an executable and runs it, you don't get the warning for the installer once it's been around long enough, and future patches are handled outside of the browser to avoid browser warnings.

#12 Pink Horror   Members   -  Reputation: 1232

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

What can I do to make this process nicer for downloaders?

If someone who doesn't know much about computers finds some random website that has an executable or installer, and tries to download it, I am glad that the browser has some form of warning. If you want to make it nicer for players, and it's intended for a wider audience than people who know you and would naturally ignore the message, use a safer form of technology, such as a server-driven game, instead of relying on strangers to trust you. I doubt you're distributing a Trojan horse but I generally don't trust people on the Internet either.

#13 xbattlestation   Members   -  Reputation: 320

0Likes

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Then you should consider making an MSI instead. It is pretty bad idea to download a *.exe.

-Josh

Thanks Josh - you are correct.  Like Samoth mentions, you can wrap an .exe in a .msi, so it is hardly secure, but this is the dance the world expects us to perform these days, so I'll go along with it.  I was using Inno Setup to create my installer .exe, now I'll try to use Xna Wix instead.  I had looked into it before, but the references to Sharp Develop put me off (I'm a Visual Studio person 100%).  Now I see it is compatible with VS too.

This is a solution to prevent future browser warnings though. If you have an installer that doesn't change often that downloads an executable and runs it, you don't get the warning for the installer once it's been around long enough, and future patches are handled outside of the browser to avoid browser warnings.

This is an interesting idea, but I've run out of steam with development, for the moment.  I want to get something out pronto.  Definitely something to think about in the future though - thanks!

Edited by xbattlestation, 21 December 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#14 reenigne   Members   -  Reputation: 199

0Likes

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/168328?hl=en&ref_topic=2365140 You can request a malware review.

I had the same flags on http://www.grhmedia.com. It doesn't matter if you have it in a zip file or not their servers will look in the zip file and find the exe unless it is encrypted. Even then I am not sure it will get flagged for the potential.

Unfortunately I didn't learn of the above method before getting mine removed. If it is removed. Just saying I don't see the warning any more but not sure if other do or don't.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS