• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Writing a fake but very convincing article.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 577

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

I was having a discussion on virtual money exchange with someone when I had an idea on writing a convincing article on the subject of virtual money based on mere assumptions, and without citing sources.

But the thing is, with the intention of writing a fake article, not many people would actually read it when they know about it in the first place. Perhaps, if we told them to read for fun, they might.

Any ways to set this in motion?

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10162

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

writing a fake article...
Any ways to set this in motion?

Yes. Don't do it. Or do research first, then write an article based on that actual research.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4025

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

There definitely is a market for fake articles, as The Onion and magazines such as Loaded have proved.  However it must be done very well, or it's just not enjoyable.

#4 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4782

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

Fake article based on assumptions? You should have a blog :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#5 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 577

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Fake article based on assumptions? You should have a blog biggrin.png

Yes, or that.

Is it okay if I write fake stuffs on my Gamedev Journal, and explictly telling others those are just assumptions, please take them with a grain of salt?

#6 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10162

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Is it okay if I write fake stuffs on my Gamedev Journal, and explictly telling others those are just assumptions, please take them with a grain of salt?

Don't write assumptions at all. Write fiction or humor or opinion or information based on research. There's no point in writing assumptions. No point whatsoever!
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21147

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

My thoughts:

If by 'fake' you mean it's intentionally false misinformation, for the sake of humor, then please clearly label it as such at the bottom of your 'article'. If it's so over-the-top ridiculous and joking, it can be very enjoyable read. Then you'd post your fake, clearly marked as humour (but leave it for the end), 'article' on your blog or GameDev.net journal. We like humor.

If it's an accurate, detailed, and source-citing example of research or experience, then it should be an actual article.

If it's educated guesswork, and just "thinking allowed", post it on your journal and say that you're inexperienced. Don't write in an absolute this-is-fact tone (there is too much, spoken-as-fact 'articles' on the internet that have entirely false information because of inexperience), but if you write in a hobbyist I'm-not-sure-but-here-are-my-thoughts tone it's being honest with yourself and your readers and they know not to take it as the gospel. That's exactly the kind of stuff that goes on blogs and journals and can be very interesting.

Or, write it as a thread here on the forums, so everyone can discuss it and debate it, and everyone (yourself included) can learn and benefit from the complete discussion that emerges from it. Doing this automatically takes away your "ownership" and "control" over the "article", because then it's a real discussion amongst peers (blog/journal/article comments sections do not make good discussion areas. "Discuss below in the comments", actually is internet-speak for, "stroke my ego - actual dissenting opinions will be lambasted by I, The Author of The Article").

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#8 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 577

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:51 AM

I see.

I have no say here from me, all my questions are now answered. biggrin.png

Thanks.

Edited by tom_mai78101, 30 December 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#9 DevLiquidKnight   Members   -  Reputation: 834

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

This seems appropriate: http://thatsmathematics.com/mathgen/

#10 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3985

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

the onion does this pretty much.

here's a fake one making the rounds today: http://dailycurrant.com/2014/01/02/marijuana-overdoses-kill-37-in-colorado-on-first-day-of-legalization/
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#11 JDX_John   Members   -  Reputation: 284

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

Don't write assumptions at all. Write fiction or humor or opinion or information based on research. There's no point in writing assumptions. No point whatsoever!

That's a bit of an assumption there Tom.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS