• Create Account

This is how you choose a Programming Language...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1556

-1Likes

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Have you ever tried to toast bread with a flat iron? It might be possible but it just isn't practical. Flat irons were not made to toast your bread. They were made for hair.

Choosing a programming language isn't as much matter of choice as it is a matter of necessity. 

Have you ever tried to write a report in Adobe Illustrator? Again, it is possible, but not practical. That is not the intended use of Illustrator. Illustrator was made for drawing vector images.

Every programming language was made with an intended use. 

PHP-- Programming language for servers (server side programming)

JavaScript-- Programming language for websites (not server side)

HTML-- Programming langauge for website layout 

CSS-- A styling language for HTML web elements (makes your website look pretty)

Even languages that seem to be interchangeable were created with an intended use. Some languages were designed to be cross-platform while others weren't.

So, what language you choose depends on what you are doing. If you are coding for a game engine then find out what languages that engine uses and learn those. 

Find out what it is you want to do, and research which languages are best suited for that task (find out what features the language has). Discover the strengths and weaknesses of the various languages. 

Hopefully this will stop the language wars and help beginners choose the right language. 

Edited by Tutorial Doctor, 30 December 2013 - 05:25 PM.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Sponsor:

#2 d4n1   Members   -  Reputation: 423

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

HTML can do much more than website stuff and same with JavaScript, just look at WebGL, NodeJS, VoxelJS, Canvas, etc.  I think the real concern is that people think that game development should be done ONLY in one particular language and that they will have a huge advantage if they choose to do so.

One of the biggies I tend to see often are those that want to use C++ but have absolutely no idea if they should use it or not, they know Java/C# but they are afraid that if they dont get their hands into C++ that theyre done for. 

In my opinion, the best way to choose a language ultimately depends on choosing what it is you want to do; beginners should work with what they know.  They need to know what the limitations of a language are before they can say that another language is much better suited for the task at hand.  To know the limitations of a language, you need to work with it, some much more than others.

You can make a game in any language you want, it will work; you can even make a game using HTML and CSS alone; what will be your limiting factor is publishing capabilities and eventually performance.  Performance is important but it isnt the only thing that drives an Indie developer.

Edited by d4n1, 30 December 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#3 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8112

0Likes

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

From the forum FAQ:

This forum is for beginners to ask questions, not for posting educational material aimed at beginners (in other words, if you post tutorials or guides, be prepared to have your thread closed).

It is not obvious to me where might make a good place for this thread, so I am closing it. Perhaps submitting it as an article would be a good next step.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS