• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Godot Engine to be Open Sourced

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 reduz   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

[EDIT] It's already out - http://www.godotengine.org

Hi guys! I’ll be brief.

We’ll be opening a game engine that has more than a decade of work (and several iterations) as MIT license soon.

It’s not an engine made by hobbyists, this is a production tool used to develop and publish plenty of games for PC, Consoles and Mobile. It’s currently in beta stage, meaning it’s feature complete and fully usable, but lacks very little fine tuning and testing. It has a similar feature set to Unity (little less stuff on 3D front, much more stuff on the 2D front, debugging). and runs on all the popular desktop and mobile platforms, as well as on the web (through asm.js).

Unlike almost any other game engine with this level of features, the editor runs fine in Linux, as well as Windows and OSX, and supports one click deploy.

Here’s some screenshots:

godotss1.png

godotss2.png

godotss3.png

godotss4.png

godotss5.png

The reason I’m posting this here is that I’d like to get feedback and some help with testing to make sure at the time of release there aren’t any serious issues that prevent it from running. Also as we are not native english speakers, we’d like to make sure that all the API grammar is as free of mistakes as possible (the engine has more than a hundred classes).

So if anyone wants to give it a test and help out with feedback, please contact me at: juan [at] okamstudio.com

Edited by reduz, 14 February 2014 - 01:10 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 nikki93   Members   -  Reputation: 148

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

This is really awesome! Must have been quite a herculean effort getting it all together. Will definitely check it out.

What did you guys use for making the GUI? Is it all in OpenGL? Or does it use something like GTK or Qt? Or is it native (guessing not since crossplatform)?

#3 reduz   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

The engine is already out - http://www.godotengine.org

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS