• Create Account

Deciding between an Engine and Framework

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 aanthonyz1   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

Ive been programming for a while now. I recently got into game programming as well. This is gonna be a solo project and im trying to decide between which would benefit me more or at least ease the journey of doing this solo. I know most people would say use an engine since it has everything inside but at the same time I dont want to have most of what I need available to me. I want to create a game that will show the effort I put into it. If you want specifics so you can specifically recommend an engine/framework then here it is:

• 2D/3D Capability
  • Video playback(Although I can just use a library for this)
  • C++ Oriented

If you want actual detailed information. In short, I want to create a 3D arena game where you unlock characters by playing through a 2D the character's storyline game(completely seperate game from the arena).

Ive seen people talking about Ogre3D and Irrlicht but I want to hear other opinions or if I should just forget about using an engine and use a framework instead.

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsor:

#2 arka80   Members   -  Reputation: 532

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

If I understand you would like to make a 2D game with a not-game part in 3D in which you simply choose the character, right?

I will probably use a 2D framework like SFML2 to do the task. It will works well for the 3D part also, since it is built on OpenGL and you can use OpenGL without additional efforts. This will give you the possibility to deal with a lot of interesting aspects of the 3D part while not overwhelming with lot of troubles in the 2D part, the game itself.

#3 Rld_   Members   -  Reputation: 1101

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

Use the one where you can achieve your goals with. 

You say that most of the engines out there have functionality you are not going to use. If it's all about just making the game, I'd rather have extra stuff I do not need (but might make things easier on me) than to have less functionality which I would need to build in myself. Sure one would have more or less full control over it, but it will take extra time away from the actual game, unless of course the framework has everything in it. :)

So there are plenty of options out there for both engines and frameworks that can do what you want/need. You could even make a small framework yourself if you're willing to put the time and effort in it.

I have no experience with Irrlicht, but I have done some stuff with Ogre3D and personally I like it. It's a bit more than just a render engine these days and a lot of community made stuff is made and because it has been here for a while, most errors have already been answered somewhere on the forums. So if it has everything you need, you could play around with it and feel how it works and if you like it or not.

Something more lightweight, and is a pure render engine/framework is Horde3D, back when I used it, it was still in a beta stage where they had some issues here and there, but I heard it has become pretty stable.

If you don't have any specific reason it needs to be C++ oriented, Unity3D might be a good option to take a look at. In the end, if you just want to make a game, the language is probably not your biggest issue. (and if you know C++ well, getting into C# shouldn't be that much of a problem).

Good luck! :)

#4 aanthonyz1   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

If I understand you would like to make a 2D game with a not-game part in 3D in which you simply choose the character, right?

I will probably use a 2D framework like SFML2 to do the task. It will works well for the 3D part also, since it is built on OpenGL and you can use OpenGL without additional efforts. This will give you the possibility to deal with a lot of interesting aspects of the 3D part while not overwhelming with lot of troubles in the 2D part, the game itself.

Its more like Im gonna create two games; one 2D game visual novel type game where at the end you unlock a character, and then a 3D arena game where you can use the character you unlocked. I dont know if it would be easier to put both games together or seperately but thats pretty much what I have in mind.

#5 ryutenchi   Members   -  Reputation: 334

0Likes

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Its more like Im gonna create two games; one 2D game visual novel type game where at the end you unlock a character, and then a 3D arena game where you can use the character you unlocked. I dont know if it would be easier to put both games together or seperately but thats pretty much what I have in mind.

SFML2 or SDL2 would be good for this. They have builtin 2D libraries and then can also expose an OpenGL context that you can render your 3D to. I personally am using a slightly modified version of SFML2. That is the other perk to the open source engines/frameworks, you can make whatever changes you need as long as you make those changes openly available even if they aren't pushed into the master (like mine^^).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS