Best way to get started

Started by
4 comments, last by Benjamin Jimenez 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm an experienced programmer with many years of experience architecting and developping commercial applications (used to design computer chips). Over the years, I've used many languages and could easily learn another one. C++ is what I've used the most.

I always look for new challenges, and always was curious about game programming. I would like to get a bit more serious about it.

I did some research and quickly became "information overloaded".

I think a good way would to be start using one of the engine and play with it for a while. What is the best engine for an avid programmer but novice game developper?

Advertisement
I can personally recommend Unity - although I may be a bit biased due to the fact that it is the only "real" game engine that I've used. It has an easy to learn interface, which only took me a day to get the hang of. It is very easy to use, and has many online tutorials, scripts, and animations that you can use. It is very good for beginners as well as more advanced programmers and game developers.
If Walt Disney can figure out how to make people pay to stand in line all day, I can surely master programming...

A lot of people use Unity (uses C#, but has a really nice UI), and the Unreal Development Kit (UDK).

Personally, I suggest getting used to the game-dev environment. Even if you're an experienced programmer, it's a good idea to get used to working in "real-time" using a gameloop, just because it's different than the event-driven design of many windows-style applications (not necessarily harder, just different).

I'd also like to suggest a book, if you're interested. Dan Schuller's C# Game Programming for Serious Game Creation introduced the gameloop and some very simple 2d gaming ideas to me. Prior to reading this I had only worked with event-driven applications, and this book very easily introduced me to real-time game design (I still use a heavily modified version of the engine that the book helps you make).

Inspiration from my tea:

"Never wish life were easier. Wish that you were better" -Jim Rohn

soundcloud.com/herwrathmustbedragons

Hi,

What is the best engine for an avid programmer but novice game developper?

Especially since you are a very experienced coder, you need to look at the specifications and documentation for several game engines to decide which ones fit you. You have that technical experience to know which ones will greatly utilize your skills after deep research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Make sure to choose a game engine which most closely fits your experience, desire, and your previous workflow pipeline (for examples, Visual Studio or other IDE), because all the best game engines have a kind of default workflow pipeline tailored to a particular set of software and applications (some for Java IDE, Blender IDE, Visual Studio IDE, 3DS Max, and so forth.) Have the best fit game engine! Don't abandon your best experiences and already in place IDE and other major tools but find the game engine that best fits what you know. Do not try to reinvent the wheel.

Usually I would recommend Unity 3D as one of the top game engines but you seem to actually be over-qualified, which is rare. Look for a game engine which is heavy in C++ for the core and at least one other language (such as C#, Python, or Lua) for the game function scripting, particularly end-user functions to be scripted. I assume that you have little or no 2D and 3D graphics art experience so you need to find a game engine with a big community of artists to provide you with assets at least in early stages, but you can use place-holders in Alpha versions of a game.

Think very much in terms of assembling a total workflow pipeline, with early emphasis on model and texture file formats, GUIs, Class Files, physics libraries (such as Bullet Physics, or other), dlls, and increase complexity with version control that is similar to what you are already used to using, like Git or something. Broaden your scope of development early but simple and increase complexity with following cycles of development in versions of the game source code. Use as many already existing libraries under legitimate license as practical. As if this is not already too much, do not spread yourself too thin and take too much or you will screech to a halt and have to reassess your strategy. If your early iterations are very simple but increasing with new versions then you should be alright. Place holders are very important so you don't spend too much time on art assets in early iterations.

An experienced coder like you needs to know what types of things are in a 3D model folder. For example, a model folder for an army tank might

have the model file, texture file, material file, various map files, animation files, effects file, sometimes a model configuration file, and potentially a few others. The 3D model creation software such as Blender, Maya, 3DS Max, and others can usually be manipulated by you to include all of these into one model folder (for example: tnk1, tnk2, etc. - the names of them) but in some cases place a particular file such as the texture file outside of the model folder if needed by the game engine or needed for modding (open modification). Game engines have these specifications according to a workflow pipeline as expressed in the documentation for the engine and you can get help from the community around the engine, too.

Look at Unreal (UDK), Torque 3D, Unity 3D, SFML, and CryEngine as your first priorities for consideration, in your experience situation.

Set achievable weekly and daily goals and be sure to keep it satisfying and rewarding. smile.png

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

For engines that use c++ and lua, i only know of leadwerks and cryengine (i'ld choose leadwerks over cryengine if you want to make money from your games).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

I'm an experienced programmer with many years of experience architecting and developping commercial applications (used to design computer chips). Over the years, I've used many languages and could easily learn another one. C++ is what I've used the most.

I always look for new challenges, and always was curious about game programming. I would like to get a bit more serious about it.

I did some research and quickly became "information overloaded".

I think a good way would to be start using one of the engine and play with it for a while. What is the best engine for an avid programmer but novice game developper?

I would go for Unity3D . It is easy to learn the basics and also has power for later when you become more experienced with it. It is high priced for the pro version, but it is well worth it. It's been used by companies to make some AAA games. It has lots of power and anything you want to do in a game can be done with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement