• Create Account

I want to create a hack and slash game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 CTucker1327   Members   -  Reputation: 176

0Likes

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

So; I guess this thread title is pretty much the point, I have programming experience and networking experience, I'm going to work on a single-player version first, and then create a multiplayer version.

Curious as to what you guys would recommend for a single-player 3D hack/slash game.

Unity3D, UDK, Pure Java, (Something else that I may not have ever used before)

Just trying to get some ideas on what is easier to get a basic hack/slash game out on where I wont really be restricted to what I can do (Looting systems, Multiplayer, HUD, etc)

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17771

0Likes

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:19 AM

You mentioned prior experience -- what have you already worked with?

Good recommendations will take your existing experience into account, as a better option for one developer may not be best for others.

In addition, can you tell us a bit more about the game you'd like to make?  Should it feature lots of detailed indoor environments?  Expansive outdoor areas?  A bit of both?  How many characters (both player and computer) do you anticipate being in a scene, and how detailed will they be?  Do you need any other special features for your game?

#3 Rld_   Members   -  Reputation: 1379

0Likes

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:20 AM

I would recommend the language/engine/framework that has the best featureset that fits your needs. It's really that simple to be honest.

Just ask yourself: "Ok, feature X is really important, if I don't have it, I can't make this game work. Does language/engine/framework X let me do that" and in most cases, especially pure languages, this is a yes. But you can probably scrap out a few engines this way.

Next question! "Can I do this easily in language/engine/framework X?" And here you will start to scratch off even more stuff!

So now you have a couple of options left that might suite your need, but man.. I still need to choose something! So now (or even before the questions is probably better) is a good time to ask youself.. Do I want to focus on making the game without worrying about third party stuff (collision, sound, etc) or do I want to have everything (to a certain degree) in my own hand?

This will filter out your options between engines, frameworks and pure languages.

Want to focus on the game? Take an engine.

Want to be in "control" of it all? Take a pure language.

Something in the middle? Find a nice framework.

By now you should have narrowed it down to just a few choices and you have no other choice than to try out and see what feels best. You can exclude some more by asking more questions that will help you.

These kind of questions pop up a lot of time and it really isn't that hard to figure out if you take some time to think about it. It's also a good exercise to see if you can actually break down your game(play) in smaller chunks that makes life a bit easier when developing the game and to see if what you want is actually feasable.

With all that being said and hopefully aided you in your search (and others that have similar questions and can use the search functionality of a forum and/or google) I can give you a last tip that is specifically for you, it's also the first hit on google with "Hack and slash rpg": burgzergarcade.com has a Unity3D video tutorial about making a hack and slash rpg!

Hopefully this helps.

Good luck! :)

#4 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17771

0Likes

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

If you're stuck deciding between options you might try a decision grid to help with your choice.

#5 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1132

1Likes

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Seriously, these questions are getting pretty annoying.

Use what you are most familiar. It doesn't really matter. As long as you are skilled enough in any of the mentioned tools, use it. There's absolutely no difference what programming language you are going to use. People playing your games won't care how you made them, they only care if it's fun. So less posting stupid questions, and more work. There's a lot of work you have to do. Good luck.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

#6 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1399

1Likes

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

I would not worry about the other systems until you got the hack and slash part working which already gives you enough work to dig into.

You have not mention any game programming experience. So I would actually recommend getting basic movement to work first.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS