• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Space Ship Building & Simulation Games - Wow !

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

#1 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1689

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

When I was much younger I use to play a lot of space games such as Wing Commander and wishing I could build and fly my very own space ships.

I noticed in the last couple years quite a few alpha stage games have popped up that let's you do just that, and it's amazing just what they are capable of.

Here is a list of the newer space ship "sandbox / building / simulation" games that I know of. If I missed one, let me know !

================================ Playable ================================

Blockade Runner

Space Engineers

Star Made

Scrumbleship

Kerbal Space Program

Starbound

Master Space

Starship Corporation

Xeno Galaxies

Avorion

Starwright

Build Your Spaceship and Explore the Universe

Corneroids

Shores of Hazeron

================================ Unplayable ================================

No Man's Sky

Boss Constructor

Kinetic Void

Universe Edge

InfiniExplorers

================================ Dead In The Water ================================

Galaxy55

Black Space

================================ Failed ================================

0x10c

Infinite Pixels

Edited by Shippou, 18 January 2014 - 01:46 AM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

Sponsor:

#2 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3945

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Dude, seriously, you haven't heard of kerbals?!

By far one of the best space ship simulation games i've ever played. I've put in over 90+ hours into it, and i've just barely started attempting trips to other planets. I HIGHLY recommend this game if you enjoy building spaceships.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#3 Askr   Members   -  Reputation: 117

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, Kerbal Space Program is also quite playable already with career mode/science. Also the physics are way more realistic than in Space Engineers. :)

#4 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1689

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I forgotten about that game ...

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#5 ericrrichards22   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

I cannot wait for KSP to get a little more finished... It's a huge time-sink now, but if they get around to implementing something like a real campaign in career mode, maybe with actual costs factored in and objectives with rewards, I might not have time for anything else for a while...

In some ways, it reminds me of another of my old favorites that did the paid-alpha thing, before there was kickstarter to make it cool, Mount&Blade.  Not only was it fun as hell (riding on horses, chopping up guys!), but the anticipation and speculation as to what it might eventually become when it was "finished", and the rush when you saw that a new point release was available, kept me playing it steady for a long time.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

#6 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1837

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

KSP is a game that every geek and kid should play. Especially geeky kids. I have spent far more time puttering around with KSP and tinkering with rockets than a grown man should admit to in public.

Personally I've been looking for a space sim game that would include exploration and colony development. Something like FTL blended with an exploration game and less combat focused.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#7 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16006

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

There's always the X Series.

(Full disclosure: I worked on a few titles in that series.)

#8 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4564

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Star Made - Very diverse universe generation. Unfortunately it's core language is Java which cause lag on lower end computers.

Holy cow this one is great. Pirates are tough as fck tho.

They don't even need to add that much to it, populate the space with more factions/structures and it would be pretty complete already.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#9 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1837

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

I've bought a bunch of them, and always wanted to really get into them... But it never happened. I never had enough enjoyment in the first few hours of play to keep me wanting to load up the game later. Not really sure why. Still might buy the latest few and give them a shot. 

If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#10 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10235

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

I've bought a bunch of them, and always wanted to really get into them... But it never happened. I never had enough enjoyment in the first few hours of play to keep me wanting to load up the game later. Not really sure why. Still might buy the latest few and give them a shot. 

Same. I really like what I see in the trailers and gameplay videos, but the start is so damn slow that several hours in I am still not enjoying myself.

I want to try X: Rebirth, because it looks like they have scoped the game down considerably. Though it appears they may have pissed off their entire existing fan-base in the process :)

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#11 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1837

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

I really should sit down and make a serious attempt at getting into one of them some weekend. The only real memories i have of any of the titles was fiddling around learning the controls and getting no where. 

#12 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4497

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

I played X3:TC for a few hours until I got fed up with the autopilot constantly crashing into shit while time acceleration is active (both my ship and my AI-controlled traders).

I was slightly tempted by X:Rebirth until I saw the metacritic score.

#13 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1837

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

Maybe we should bug ApochPiQ to consider blending the X series with FTL style graphics and procedural generation.

#14 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10235

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

Maybe we should bug ApochPiQ to consider blending the X series with FTL style graphics and procedural generation.

+1. I'll help.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#15 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1689

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Added in Master Space to the list

- Douglas Adams 2002

#16 Dream Cutter   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 214

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Wing Commander series was cool, but I had the most fun with the "Privateer" spin-off that had a space-trader economy. Not fully satisfied with the depth,  I recall awaiting with baited breath (for eons) BattleCruiser 3000AD.  Needless to say that experience soured my taste for space for at least a decade.

3DSkyDome.com animated sky boxes and instant 3d Android & WebGL publishing.

#17 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8516

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

Kerbal Space Program is just a delightful little game. I enjoyed every bit of it, from when I was first struggling to build a rocket that would even reach the upper limits of the atmosphere, to first achieving orbit, travelling to the Mun, soft landing and returning the Kerbals safely.

#18 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1689

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

Wing Commander series was cool, but I had the most fun with the "Privateer" spin-off that had a space-trader economy.

Privateer 1 was an excellent game ... Privateer 2 removed all the "good" stuff from the game unsure.png

- Douglas Adams 2002

#19 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1689

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

added several more games

- Douglas Adams 2002

#20 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1837

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Wait, why isn't discussion of Star Citizen getting tacked onto this thread? I wouldn't really expect people to have not heard of it yet, but on the off chance that someone hasn't...

One of, if not the largest, crowd funded games to date with some impressive names backing it. I backed it ages ago, and I'm looking forward to getting a larger apartment with room to set up my computer and a gaming chair with dedicated flight controls that lock in place so I can play the game more effectively. 

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS