• Create Account

html gui performance

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 jeff8j   Members   -  Reputation: 728

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

I've been setting up a gui using a web browser for a while now and wondering how common this is and what can I expect in real world performance?

I have used qt and awesomium (awesomium was simpler to setup but qt seems more reliable and across more systems)

anyways its taking 2-4ms every time in needs to update the texture but can randomly take 30-40ms too often to overlook

my screen is 1080p and im receiving rgba data from the libraries I may have to try to figure out what they use internally to avoid changing formats I need to find a way to copy the data less too but trying to avoid opengl context switching so its a bit challenging

Is this a common practice?

What libraries do you use?

Am I getting expected results? (I have no clue what a 1080p rgba texture moving around in ram should take)

Simple test with google (today has no animations) at almost 1080p expanded window

2+2+38+8+3+2+2+4+43+12+4+3+13+17+15+3+2
173 total ms
173/17 = 10.1ms avg

Having a 43ms lag in a first person shooter isnt going to cut it so if this is going to be expected what can I do to hide the delay im not too familar with context switching but could I update it when I get a copy in another thread or what other ways can i be worked around?

Firefox youtube video and audio downloader MP3 MP4 OGG WEBM

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-youtube-converter/

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS