• Create Account

Zynga Pulls Plug on YoVille - Million$ in YoCash evaporate!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
174 replies to this topic

#21 Dream Cutter   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 206

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

I disagree with this statement, those users existed before Yoville came around, and will continue existing after Yoville is gone, they will simply find something new to pour their time into.

I am one of the "die hard" Yoville players.  At 54, I have never before, nor will I ever again, find a game that I enjoy like Yoville.  Truth is, I will probably never even look again. If you haven't played this game, and experienced the social aspect of it, you may not understand what is involved in the relationships formed, friendships bonded.  It's more than a bunch of avatars.  We have gotten to know eachother on a personal level.  I met a woman on Yoville that I found had all the same interests, etc. that I do in our real lives.  Yoville was the vehicle that started a great real friendship.  We talk daily on the phone now and keep up on eachother's childrens, families, jobs, etc.  She's like my BFF that I should have had closer to home, but would never have met if not for Yoville.  We have cheered together at births of grandkids, we've cried together over deaths in the families, we've given advice on everything from laundry to love to career paths...  She lives 3000 miles away and yet, we can talk about anything and everything like we've known eachother our entire lives.  

This community is so tightly knit that when someone in yoville has news to share, we all share it.  Several of the members have met in real life and even married because of this game.  Inside the game, we celebrated one such wedding by hosting a "yo-wedding" complete with gifts given to the happy couple and all.  We've done the same as we mourned the loss of one of the first ever forumers who had contributed so much and started the "Wishlist Thread".  She was stricken with Cancer and we all kept tabs on her throughout her ordeal.  She said once that the people in the game brightened her days even at the end when she no longer could enjoy getting out with her own real life friends and family, she could still go to a yo-party somewhere and for that brief time, she could feel somewhat normal again.  We all got together at one location on the server and hosted her funeral and memorial with her entire real life family in attendance.  Her grown daughter thanked us at the end and told her that she never really understood what her mother had seen in this game until that moment.

as SotL has outlined very well on the community, allow me to share a story about a community that did do as he said, and the current aftermath. this was probably 8 years ago now, i joined a site that was dedicated at making PSP homebrew. that site's community was absolutely amazing, mods were fun, people enjoyed talking, having fun, etc. for nearly 5 years this went on, many of the core members had stuck it out each day, and talked/hung out. sadly, over the years, the scene had begun to fade away, the psp wasn't as popular as it once was, so we were greeted less and less by new people. less new people, and other members slowly fading away left the site with only it's core members(probably 30-40 of us). the mods were also getting sick and tired of dealing with the owners, the owners were only there for the ad-revenue, and didn't seem to care about actually improving the site, and nurturing the once thriving community. so, one day, the mods got together and formed a new site. alot of us migrated, some stayed at the old site, thinking we were overreacting, some simply left us all. so here we were on this brand new platform, mods had the power to improve things, etc. we got some new members over time, for about the next 2 years, things continued like always. eventually though, we knew we were being stagnant, the site's gaming focus didn't really take off like the mods had hoped, the community was still very tight-knit, but we weren't really getting any new people to join. one of the mods was running a site of there own, it had pretty much no community any more, but it's front page hits were very high. so the mods got together, and deceided to pool the resources, our community, with his site might bring in a refreshing new pool of members. This worked early on, but over the last couple years, pretty much all the core members have vanished as well. i still pop in about once a week now, but it's pretty sad to think we went from this massive community, down to...well nothing. So what i'm trying to say is that yes you can have a tight-knit community survive these things if handled right. well that community stick around forever though? who-knows.

As SotL pointed out, this type of thing happens in alot of games with strong social interactions. I can't even imagine the shitstorm that well come when blizzard drops WoW, I imagine alot of close relationships have been formed in that game.

I am one of the VIP members who is getting ripped off in this deal.  The membership is a monthly charge.  I understand business and realize that like all things in life, this costs money to keep it going so I figured it was my fair share to pay to play.  However, the agreement on that is we pay a certain fee, we get 20 yocash a week and 2 new hair styles per month on average (that's 18-20 yocash each).  There have been no new releases in the last few months and though I have gotten my weekly yocash, I have not received all the hair I was promised.  When the glitches started, and the events tab broke, and this was shut down, and that was broken, etc., we started all asking on the forum for some honest answers about what was going on with the game and if it was on its way out or what.  WE WERE ASSURED THAT THEY HAD GOOD NEWS!!!!  YOVILLE IS HERE TO STAY!!!!!!!!!!!  So we continued to pay our monthly premiums, and yesterday got the blaring news that we've been paying to keep a game going that they are closing.  

Even worse, they want to do something "special" to their loyal Yoville players so they are offering us "special packages" on 3 of their other games.  These are games I would NEVER play.  Ironically, I am forced to pay for my yocash through facebook credits, yet they aren't refunding through those same credits.  They're keeping the money and hoping I'll take up poker.  No thanks.  If I'm gonna play poker, I'm gonna be sitting at the table with a nice bunch of guys, sipping a cold one and I may even have a cigar!!!

That is pretty shitty of the devs to leading you guys on like that, and their might even be some legal recourse in that they kept you paying with blatant lies about the continuation of the game. However i still stand by my opinion that a devs shouldn't be forced to continue maintaining something indefinitely.

I disagree with this statement, those users existed before Yoville came around, and will continue existing after Yoville is gone, they will simply find something new to pour their time into.

I am one of the "die hard" Yoville players.  At 54, I have never before, nor will I ever again, find a game that I enjoy like Yoville.  Truth is, I will probably never even look again. If you haven't played this game, and experienced the social aspect of it, you may not understand what is involved in the relationships formed, friendships bonded.  It's more than a bunch of avatars.  We have gotten to know eachother on a personal level.  I met a woman on Yoville that I found had all the same interests, etc. that I do in our real lives.  Yoville was the vehicle that started a great real friendship.  We talk daily on the phone now and keep up on eachother's childrens, families, jobs, etc.  She's like my BFF that I should have had closer to home, but would never have met if not for Yoville.  We have cheered together at births of grandkids, we've cried together over deaths in the families, we've given advice on everything from laundry to love to career paths...  She lives 3000 miles away and yet, we can talk about anything and everything like we've known eachother our entire lives.  

This community is so tightly knit that when someone in yoville has news to share, we all share it.  Several of the members have met in real life and even married because of this game.  Inside the game, we celebrated one such wedding by hosting a "yo-wedding" complete with gifts given to the happy couple and all.  We've done the same as we mourned the loss of one of the first ever forumers who had contributed so much and started the "Wishlist Thread".  She was stricken with Cancer and we all kept tabs on her throughout her ordeal.  She said once that the people in the game brightened her days even at the end when she no longer could enjoy getting out with her own real life friends and family, she could still go to a yo-party somewhere and for that brief time, she could feel somewhat normal again.  We all got together at one location on the server and hosted her funeral and memorial with her entire real life family in attendance.  Her grown daughter thanked us at the end and told her that she never really understood what her mother had seen in this game until that moment.

as SotL has outlined very well on the community, allow me to share a story about a community that did do as he said, and the current aftermath. this was probably 8 years ago now, i joined a site that was dedicated at making PSP homebrew. that site's community was absolutely amazing, mods were fun, people enjoyed talking, having fun, etc. for nearly 5 years this went on, many of the core members had stuck it out each day, and talked/hung out. sadly, over the years, the scene had begun to fade away, the psp wasn't as popular as it once was, so we were greeted less and less by new people. less new people, and other members slowly fading away left the site with only it's core members(probably 30-40 of us). the mods were also getting sick and tired of dealing with the owners, the owners were only there for the ad-revenue, and didn't seem to care about actually improving the site, and nurturing the once thriving community. so, one day, the mods got together and formed a new site. alot of us migrated, some stayed at the old site, thinking we were overreacting, some simply left us all. so here we were on this brand new platform, mods had the power to improve things, etc. we got some new members over time, for about the next 2 years, things continued like always. eventually though, we knew we were being stagnant, the site's gaming focus didn't really take off like the mods had hoped, the community was still very tight-knit, but we weren't really getting any new people to join. one of the mods was running a site of there own, it had pretty much no community any more, but it's front page hits were very high. so the mods got together, and deceided to pool the resources, our community, with his site might bring in a refreshing new pool of members. This worked early on, but over the last couple years, pretty much all the core members have vanished as well. i still pop in about once a week now, but it's pretty sad to think we went from this massive community, down to...well nothing. So what i'm trying to say is that yes you can have a tight-knit community survive these things if handled right. well that community stick around forever though? who-knows.

As SotL pointed out, this type of thing happens in alot of games with strong social interactions. I can't even imagine the shitstorm that well come when blizzard drops WoW, I imagine alot of close relationships have been formed in that game.

I am one of the VIP members who is getting ripped off in this deal.  The membership is a monthly charge.  I understand business and realize that like all things in life, this costs money to keep it going so I figured it was my fair share to pay to play.  However, the agreement on that is we pay a certain fee, we get 20 yocash a week and 2 new hair styles per month on average (that's 18-20 yocash each).  There have been no new releases in the last few months and though I have gotten my weekly yocash, I have not received all the hair I was promised.  When the glitches started, and the events tab broke, and this was shut down, and that was broken, etc., we started all asking on the forum for some honest answers about what was going on with the game and if it was on its way out or what.  WE WERE ASSURED THAT THEY HAD GOOD NEWS!!!!  YOVILLE IS HERE TO STAY!!!!!!!!!!!  So we continued to pay our monthly premiums, and yesterday got the blaring news that we've been paying to keep a game going that they are closing.  

Even worse, they want to do something "special" to their loyal Yoville players so they are offering us "special packages" on 3 of their other games.  These are games I would NEVER play.  Ironically, I am forced to pay for my yocash through facebook credits, yet they aren't refunding through those same credits.  They're keeping the money and hoping I'll take up poker.  No thanks.  If I'm gonna play poker, I'm gonna be sitting at the table with a nice bunch of guys, sipping a cold one and I may even have a cigar!!!

That is pretty shitty of the devs to leading you guys on like that, and their might even be some legal recourse in that they kept you paying with blatant lies about the continuation of the game. However i still stand by my opinion that a devs shouldn't be forced to continue maintaining something indefinitely.

Pretty much sums it up.  Its all about greed and taking advantage of the consumer. Maybe that's why FarmVille works - we are all sheep!  

Ohhhh...boy "TapFish 2" is out  

Tap...tap - chaaa-ching$

Edited by Dream Cutter, 11 January 2014 - 02:47 PM.

3DSkyDome.com animated sky boxes and instant 3d Android & WebGL publishing.

Sponsor:

#22 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4657

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

This is another case of realization that the consumer has no rights to that property, it's a pay to use model, not a pay to own model.

I half-disagree here. Although I don't have any idea how this game works or what that "yo currency" is, I understand that it is a kind of fake currency that you buy with real money (to buy virtual premium items later).

Insofar, the customers have bought something they presumably "own" and that is presumably worth something, in some way, no matter what the ToS may be. It's like buying stock options. Or like bitcoin... if you pay real money for bitcoin, you do that because you expect you can trade it and get real money or products/services in return.

Of course you don't own a company if you buy stock options (unless you buy 50.1% of them), but in some sense you do own a part of it. Now if that company told you that they'd shut down tomorrow for no reason or that they'd reduce the value of each share by 90%, you would be pissed, and rightfully so. Even if you probably couldn't do anything against it.

If a company just goes out of business due to e.g. bankruptcy, you're out of luck with your stocks. I guess it boils down to the same situation in this case, even if it is "somewhat unfair" towards the users. But I can see how it's not as easy as saying "yeah you know what, read the ToS" (well, it surely is that easy, but not if Zynga plans on getting money from the same people ever again...).

#23 LoriJ   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

That was very revealing and insightful.  Thanks for sharing as many are not aware of the organization and level of sophistication of the hacks. I assumed peeps were just monkeying around with URL's to get relatively benign results.  Sounds like a lot more than that was going on.

Oh  no - there are videos on youtube about how to do some of these hacks.  There are a group of "freezers" who attend events and freeze the room to the point it shuts down everyone's computers and we have to refresh and in some cases reboot to get back into game.  They wipe out the shockwave somehow as well and I've read reports that damage has actually been done to some computers from the constant freezing though I'm not sure that's true.  

Yoville works on an economic base where items from early years are appreciating in value and become worth millions (of coins) when they are resold either through "events" (which hasn't worked in months) or through the AuctionHouse feature which allows players to put their items up for bidding.  Many of these "rare" items have been reproduced and these hackers are getting super rich (in coins) by doing this, but it's buyer beware when you purchase one of these "fake" articles because it may or may not be usable.... So many have spent real hard earned cash to buy coins so as to purchase these pixels that aren't even legitimate.  

#24 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3413

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

This is another case of realization that the consumer has no rights to that property, it's a pay to use model, not a pay to own model.

Insofar, the customers have bought something they presumably "own" and that is presumably worth something, in some way, no matter what the ToS may be. It's like buying stock options. Or like bitcoin... if you pay real money for bitcoin, you do that because you expect you can trade it and get real money or products/services in return.

But that's where the consumer is wrong, they don't own anything. they are paying for access to premium content/services, rather that costumer trades that access for something that is real or not is moot. That content is subject to change by the provider, and is not technically the consumer's because that is the contract they agreed to when making the purchase. it is not the fault of the company that a person can't be bothered to read what they are agreeing to. And to be quite honest, at this point it should be assumed you are agreeing to have access, not to own something.

Now then, i'm only stating that from a technical standpoint, don't confuse me with agreeing with that. IMO this is a tough problem, as both parties have valid reasons for their claim. the consumer has the claim that they payed for that service, and that payment was partially for maintaining the service. yet the developer can also make the claim that the cost to maintain eventually outweighs the cost of the service. Don't confuse cost in a purely financial standpoint, not every decision is made because of money, if it were true that this game was still bringing in millions to zynga, than as a company, they should have no reason to want to sell/discontinue this game. however from a maintenance standpoint, the game could just be a massive headache they want to get rid of, regardless of what it might mean to their bottom line.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#25 LoriJ   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

. But I can see how it's not as easy as saying "yeah you know what, read the ToS" (well, it surely is that easy, but not if Zynga plans on getting money from the same people ever again...).

True.  And Zynga owns several other games.  They are offering us a "special package" to one of 3 other games.  All lousy games I wouldn't bother even trying to play, and the last round of "special packages" they did was in the farmville mess where they gave each player a package of "manure" .......... fitting don't you think????  Obviously, I've spent literally thousands of real money on this game over the years and if all I got for that was "manure"..... well needless to say, that would be the ultimate slap in the face.  

There is a petition circulating that has nearly 5000 signatures so far stating that if Yoville is closed, we will boycott all zynga games.  It's not about the games, its about the lousy treatment and scamming by the company.  I feel robbed as I have continued to sink money into this game based on faulse information about it's continuance.  Obviously, had we been told months ago, when we first asked, that the company was even considering closing the game, we would have stopped spending so much real money on it, or at least done so with the full knowledge that we were throwing it at something that would be gone soon.  However, since we were told that "Yoville is here to stay!" I feel that's fraudulent behavior and shows the ethics of the management involved.  Why would I risk putting myself in that position again with another of their games when customer service and honestly is obviously not high on their priority list......

#26 LoriJ   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

is not the fault of the company that a person can't be bothered to read what they are agreeing to. And to be quite honest, at this point it should be assumed you are agreeing to have access, not to own something.

We were told though by company representatives, that the game was staying intact.  So my argument to this statement is that we were tricked into spending real money by false statements by the company.  I pay a monthly subscription rate for this in addition to any additional yocash I purchase throughout the month.  When the game started getting glitchy and so many options were broken or changed, we all asked if the game was in jeopardy of closing and were told repeatedly,  "Yoville is here to stay!!!!!"  That information is what has lead to so many spending so much real cash to keep it going.  We thought we were doing our part to show our loyalty through the bad patch so that we could ultimately get the game back to the point of enjoyment it was before such issues.  

#27 LoriJ   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

But that's where the consumer is wrong, they don't own anything.

It's like any other service you pay for in life I would think.  If I subscribe to a service that is offering A, B and C monthly for a set price, I should be receiving A, B and C.  In this case, I am getting only A for my subscription dollar and we have all been asked to be patient and it will be fixed, those of us who have chosen to be "team players" have taken this hit for all these months still paying our subscription premiums, and now we are never going to be compensated for the B & C that have been missing for months and they of course made this announcement AFTER they had automatically withdrawn the money from my bank account for this month's premium........ Just seems sleezy.  

#28 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3413

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

is not the fault of the company that a person can't be bothered to read what they are agreeing to. And to be quite honest, at this point it should be assumed you are agreeing to have access, not to own something.

We were told though by company representatives, that the game was staying intact.  So my argument to this statement is that we were tricked into spending real money by false statements by the company.  I pay a monthly subscription rate for this in addition to any additional yocash I purchase throughout the month.  When the game started getting glitchy and so many options were broken or changed, we all asked if the game was in jeopardy of closing and were told repeatedly,  "Yoville is here to stay!!!!!"  That information is what has lead to so many spending so much real cash to keep it going.  We thought we were doing our part to show our loyalty through the bad patch so that we could ultimately get the game back to the point of enjoyment it was before such issues.

I'm not arguing you on that point. I think you have real legal course in that situation. I'm talking about games/micro-transactions in general for games with these sort of setups.

It's like any other service you pay for in life I would think. If I subscribe to a service that is offering A, B and C monthly for a set price, I should be receiving A, B and C. In this case, I am getting only A for my subscription dollar and we have all been asked to be patient and it will be fixed, those of us who have chosen to be "team players" have taken this hit for all these months still paying our subscription premiums, and now we are never going to be compensated for the B & C that have been missing for months and they of course made this announcement AFTER they had automatically withdrawn the money from my bank account for this month's premium........ Just seems sleezy.

in that case you do have legal recourse if they are advertising A, B, and C. but only provide A. however, in most cases, they include that all deals are subject to change at the providers whim, this means that they have to give you A, B, and C. but they don't have to offer that indefiantly. This is how many cable deals work "Hey pay 10$ a month" and then in the fine print you get "for the first six months".

Edited by slicer4ever, 11 January 2014 - 03:20 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#29 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1523

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

This is an interesting situation, and a major reason I don't invest in things like that. 

Imagine if Apple stopped. Yeah, they just stop. All the people who have invested in their products will feel they have wasted so much money. That is why I think it is a very bad idea to be tied to some service or contract that is subject to change at your least convenience (which is a clause in pretty much all TOS).

So i am constantly looking for free alternatives. They have to be free, because it requires no investment. 

It is the same way I am learning game programming and design. I am not going to go and buy $3,000 3d studio max and pay another couple thousand to be able to publish on the game engine of my choice, just to learn how to make games. No. If I am new, and learning, I am going to use a free and open source game engine and a free 3d modeler like Blender. 

I understand why people would be mad about this. 

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

#30 LoriJ   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

in that case you do have legal recourse if they are advertising A, B, and C. but only provide A. however, in most cases, they include that all deals are subject to change at the providers whim, this means that they have to give you A, B, and C. but they don't have to offer that indefiantly. This is how many cable deals work "Hey pay 10$ a month" and then in the fine print you get "for the first six months".

It was set up originally that you would pay $17.99 a month for the first 3 months and receive one hair a month (that's worth 18 yocash or $5 in real money) plus 15 yocash per week.  However, if you stayed in that for 3 months, then you automatically upgraded and went to a premium package which gave you 20 yocash per week and the second hair per month. In addition, VIP's are given 20% discount on certain items in each theme (theme change monthly) and VIP exclusive items that were not available to players who were not paying this subscription rate.   However, hair is issued with new releases.  There have been no new releases over the last few months so we are not receiving the first hair (18yc or $5 real money) nor the 2nd (again, 18yc or $5).  There are no discounts on items in the "new release" because there aren't releases, and there have been no VIP Exclusive items either for the same reason.  I have, however, continued to receive my 20 yc per week throughout this ordeal.  

#31 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4029

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

We were told though by company representatives, that the game was staying intact.  So my argument to this statement is that we were tricked into spending real money by false statements by the company.

Well, consider that Zynga is the company who abruptly laid off 20% of their workforce with no prior warning, I'd say that you should be aware that not everyone in the company actually knows what the business plans are. It's highly likely that the customer support staff first learned the game would be shut down at the same time you did.

#32 LoriJ   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Well, consider that Zynga is the company who abruptly laid off 20% of their workforce with no prior warning, I'd say that you should be aware that not everyone in the company actually knows what the business plans are. It's highly likely that the customer support staff first learned the game would be shut down at the same time you did.

I wondered about that as well.  They seem rather sketchy in my opinion.  

#33 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4029

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

I wondered about that as well.  They seem rather sketchy in my opinion.

Well, that wasn't really a sketchy move - it was more of a panic reaction. They went public just a couple quarters before the layoff, which forced them to take a closer look at their income and expenses (since all of that information was now public for the whole world to see). Then they started getting harried by Wall Street in the news to improve their profitability.

Pressure from Wall Street tends to have a way of corrupting a company such that it makes more profit-guided decisions rather than decisions that consider the wishes of employees or consumers. Pressure from the media sometimes makes a company make reactionary decisions which aren't well thought-out.

I believe that Zynga had no idea that the after-effects of going public could be detrimental like this, and they're still trying to get themselves straightened out.

Edited by Nypyren, 11 January 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#34 LoriJ   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I believe that Zynga had no idea that the after-effects of going public could be detrimental like this, and they're still trying to get themselves straightened out.

Maybe so...... right now I just have a hard time trusting them at all on any level.  I feel totally duped.  

Our hope is that Big Viking Games or some other company will buy it out, fix the glitches and let it roll.  It's got such potential it seems a waste to see it falter.  

On a positive note:  CNN has been getting reports about this thanks to this site and others and they are investigating so maybe we'll get some press out of it.  That's gotta help somebody wanna buy it I hope.  

#35 SymLinked   Members   -  Reputation: 837

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

It was up for six years. SIX YEARS. It's not like they pulled the plug early. Besides, if it's such a success - why are they shutting it down? Why would anyone shut down something that generates income?

#36 LoriJ   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

It was up for six years. SIX YEARS. It's not like they pulled the plug early. Besides, if it's such a success - why are they shutting it down? Why would anyone shut down something that generates income?

I've asked myself that question a million times.  I don't know why they would shut it down.  It's like they're investing so much into zynga.com that they are letting this slide, not fixing glitches, not addressing hacking issues, not doing anything to maintain the site, but all along asking for our patience and understanding as they fix it all....... taking our money on false promises that it would be fixed, and then slamming the door in our faces instead of fixing it.  Unethical at best.  We should have had accurate information to make our spending decisions with.  I believe I'm speaking for the masses when I say we have all contributed financially in an effort to keep the game going, we've been more than patient, and the response we got was lies.  I'll never spend a dime on another Zynga product in my life.

#37 ericrrichards22   Members   -  Reputation: 757

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

I simply cannot understand the concept of paying real money for non-utiltarian in-game purchases.  I played WOW for a couple months, until I got bored of the grinding, and I've bought some level unlocks for Candy Crush and Bubble Witch, but the idea of spending money on something like hats in TF2 or anything with Zynga involved leaves me baffled.  I can hit a Steam sale and find a game with a 90+ Metacritic score that I haven't played yet, that'll provide tens of hours of enjoyment, for less than some incidental piece of dlc.

To each his/her own, I guess...

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

#38 LoriJ   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

I think you summed up your purchasing decisions in that first few lines.  You play for "months".......... I've played this game for years as have most of the remaining yovillians.  Buying this hat, or that window for this house or that tree......... it's part of the beauty of this game.  It's not a competition (except the contests we have from time to time) but more of just a social outlet where we feel comfortable to invite friends over to our "newly decorated" homes and wear our chic new outfits, hair, hats, jewelry or whatever and visit, or talk or have a sale, or an auction, or group discussion, or meetings, or church, or whatever we want to do....... I can't stress enough that there is NO Other platform on the market like this.  I've tried the others, and they are pale in comparison....... This truly is a community. 

#39 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3413

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

I simply cannot understand the concept of paying real money for non-utiltarian in-game purchases.  I played WOW for a couple months, until I got bored of the grinding, and I've bought some level unlocks for Candy Crush and Bubble Witch, but the idea of spending money on something like hats in TF2 or anything with Zynga involved leaves me baffled.  I can hit a Steam sale and find a game with a 90+ Metacritic score that I haven't played yet, that'll provide tens of hours of enjoyment, for less than some incidental piece of dlc.

To each his/her own, I guess...

why do people buy alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, jewelry, or any other item that provides zero practicality. I've never spent money on social games(the only mmo i've payed money for was The Old Republic, but that was to buy it at launch, and i got bored with it before i even had to start paying monthly subscriptions). There are people that can justify these purchases, as it provides entertainment/social value, not practical value.

#40 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Ailin Graef built a large virtual goods empire that started with selling virtual land in 2004 ...

LINK

Edited by Shippou, 11 January 2014 - 08:22 PM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS