• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Automatic generation of bounding rectangle/sphere (complex model)?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 rXpSwiss   Members   -  Reputation: 216

0Likes

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hello,

I need to make a very simple 3D collision detection, there won't be more than 10 objects in the screen but they can be very complex.

I generate a bounding rectangle/sphere based on the model but all the models can be imported, "glued" together and exported to make a new model (all of that using kinect).

My issue is that the models become quickly complex and don't fit much a rectangle or sphere but I need to make the bounding box or in this case "bounding boxes" on-the-fly, does anyone has a good algorithm or trick that could help me ?

Thanks,

rXp

Edited by rXpSwiss, 12 January 2014 - 02:45 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 apatriarca   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1862

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

What about using collections of bounding boxes/sphere (lists or trees) as your bounding shapes? If the number of glued objects is not too large, it can be quite feasible.

#3 rXpSwiss   Members   -  Reputation: 216

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

What about using collections of bounding boxes/sphere (lists or trees) as your bounding shapes? If the number of glued objects is not too large, it can be quite feasible.

Yes but what about complex .obj that are imported ? Like an animal...

#4 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 2373

1Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Yes but what about complex .obj that are imported ? Like an animal...

At that point, you may want to have your artists put in the bounding boxes in the model itself? or denote regions with tags or something. 

#5 rXpSwiss   Members   -  Reputation: 216

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

That's my issue :( The .obj can be loaded by anyone and created or download from anywhere.

#6 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 2373

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

That's my issue sad.png The .obj can be loaded by anyone and created or download from anywhere.

Perhaps something akin to an Octree?  Start with the largest bounding box possible, then subdivide it?

#7 ankhd   Members   -  Reputation: 1465

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:24 AM

Hi.

Can you render the object to a texture at  one colour, then convert your picking ray to a 2d texture point.??????

#8 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 2373

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi.

Can you render the object to a texture at  one colour, then convert your picking ray to a 2d texture point.??????

Not a bad idea, that would work well, if picking is their only collision. 

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS