• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Which engine to choose to make a MORPG?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

#1 alikim   Members   -  Reputation: 113

2Likes

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

If I want to make a 3D MORPG which free or very low cost engine(s) is the best choice?

The main problem for me seems to be the implementation of the server part: the neccesity of installing/using extra middleman software, database management, how easy it is to make changes to the server code etc.

I know there are free versions of Unity, CryEngine, Unreal, are there any other engines worth considering?

Did anyone try to implenet the server part for a custom MORPG for the above three engines and could compare or give me some advice?

Thank you!

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6705

0Likes

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Hi,

If I want to make a 3D MORPG which free or very low cost engine(s) is the best choice?

The main problem for me seems to be the implementation of the server part: the neccesity of installing/using extra middleman software, database management, how easy it is to make changes to the server code etc.

I know there are free versions of Unity, CryEngine, Unreal, are there any other engines worth considering?

Did anyone try to implenet the server part for a custom MORPG for the above three engines and could compare or give me some advice?

Thank you!

Torque might also be an option (it is fairly popular), or JMonkeyEngine if you use Java, The server portion for a MORPG is usually implemented in pretty much the same way regardless of what engine you use for the client. (Allthough some engines do have built in networking support it tends to never be quite suitable for anything)

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 Kirkkaf13   Members   -  Reputation: 353

0Likes

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

You have not provided much information to go on.

- What programming language are you familiar with, if any at all?

- What is your target platform?

What other features are you looking for or do you only care if the engine is cheap / free and you can make an MORPG? There is a engine that comes to mind, Realm Crafter, it is not free but fairly cheap.

I have no experience using this engine so I do not know what it is capable of and I believe it only runs on Windows.

Kirk

#4 alikim   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

Torque might also be an option (it is fairly popular), or JMonkeyEngine if you use Java, The server portion for a MORPG is usually implemented in pretty much the same way regardless of what engine you use for the client. (Allthough some engines do have built in networking support it tends to never be quite suitable for anything)

Thank you, do you mean that at the end of the day I'll have to write my own server?

#5 alikim   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:55 AM

You have not provided much information to go on.

- What programming language are you familiar with, if any at all?

- What is your target platform?

What other features are you looking for or do you only care if the engine is cheap / free and you can make an MORPG? There is a engine that comes to mind, Realm Crafter, it is not free but fairly cheap.

I have no experience using this engine so I do not know what it is capable of and I believe it only runs on Windows.

Kirk

Any language will do (I know many), I'm looking for the best ready to use solution server-wise that comes with the engine or requires little extra work.

Features: the more the better, built in DB, built in support for as many aspects of multiplayer interaction as possible, at least movement and chat.

The price depends on how good the server part is and how much I'll have to do to make it work.

That's why I'm asking about Unity for example, what do you get buying a pro licence and how hard is it to actually make the server part work? Same for UE and CE or any other engine you actually made a multiplayer online game on.

Platforms: PC and Mac, standalone executables, anything extra is a bonus.

Edited by alikim, 13 January 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#6 Rld_   Members   -  Reputation: 1627

2Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

Perhaps the Hero Engine is worth a look.

I haven't used it, I don't know much about it other than what a friend of mine has mentioned (and what info is available on the site), but he seemed to like it. 

#7 cube2222   Members   -  Reputation: 203

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Wait a second, let's conclude:

You want to make an mmorpg, which is actually the msot expensive type of game to make, but you're looking for a cheap engine... Do you realize how much all the assets will cost? If you do have to ask this question, about what engine to use, you shouldn't be even trying to do an mmo. Because this is way beyond you, if you don't have endless money. Try to do something smaller, I can reccomend unity and udk (prefer udk), and try to go into game development. Then, you will:

A) Realize a mmorpg is too big, let's leave it to big studios.

B) Make a bestseller game, become a big studio, and make an mmo.

#8 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2208

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

You want to make an mmorpg, which is actually the msot expensive type of game to make, but you're looking for a cheap engine... Do you realize how much all the assets will cost? If you do have to

He wrote MORPG, which is an online rpg, with multiplayer. Doable with only a few years of work solo, if he really wants to. With a modern engine, the right one, it could be just a matter of months of getting it all together. Not included artwork, sound, music and other assets.

#9 Godmil   Members   -  Reputation: 744

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

It's worth remembering that there are plenty of morpgs as well as mmorpgs that have rudimentary graphics and just hinge on the stats and player interactions. Just because someone wants to make a game doesn't mean they expect it to  look and compete with the big studios... Though admittedly sometimes they do mean that tongue.png

Edited by Godmil, 13 January 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#10 cube2222   Members   -  Reputation: 203

1Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

You want to make an mmorpg, which is actually the msot expensive type of game to make, but you're looking for a cheap engine... Do you realize how much all the assets will cost? If you do have to

He wrote MORPG, which is an online rpg, with multiplayer. Doable with only a few years of work solo, if he really wants to. With a modern engine, the right one, it could be just a matter of months of getting it all together. Not included artwork, sound, music and other assets.

Sorry, I'm blind...

#11 Kryzon   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 3549

1Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Take a look at Esenthel.

#12 alikim   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

Perhaps the Hero Engine is worth a look.

Thank you, seems like the best option so far.

#13 alikim   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Take a look at Esenthel.

This one doesn't seem to have any server components, only a simple game example, you take it from there and program all of it yourself in LAMP

#14 Kirkkaf13   Members   -  Reputation: 353

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

Take a look at Esenthel.

This one doesn't seem to have any server components, only a simple game example, you take it from there and program all of it yourself in LAMP

Look closer,

http://www.esenthel.com/?id=feature/network#mmo

Builtin MMO Functionality:

• Client/Server Based
  • Account Creation/Removal
  • Character Creation/Removal
  • Login/Logout
  • Awareness of Nearby Players
  • Exchanging Positions and Basic Animations
  • Exchanging Custom Animations
  • Chat
  • Inventory
  • SpeedHack Detection
  • Full Client Server Source Codes so you can modify the game to your own needs

#15 alikim   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

Look closer

I did, I also looked at this:

http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=7213&pid=43623#pid43623

Some important features are missing comparing to HE and it seems when they say "it's really open you can do whatever you want" that means "you have to program it yourself" and it's not a kind of "freedom" I'm looking for.

I don't want to argue about it though, Hero Engine package so far looks like a more complete and cheaper solution, I still have questions that I'm going to ask and then will decide.

Edited by alikim, 14 January 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#16 d4n1   Members   -  Reputation: 489

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

The best engine to use is research that you as the person in charge of the project will need to do, other than the obvious engines that are talked about extensively on this site and to-which that information is freely available for you to read.  I would like to point out that if this is the first time going into game development, you should probably get some hands on experience building something before venturing out on such a big task.  You might be better off doing a bunch of tutorials to get started

Edited by d4n1, 14 January 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#17 dacypher22   Members   -  Reputation: 210

4Likes

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

When I first got into game development, it was because I wanted to make a 3D MMORPG, in the style of Final Fantasy XI (it was a cutting edge game at the time lol). 

I came to realize that this was a monumental undertaking that required far more resources than I had. Even starting with Hero Engine, you would need hundreds, if not thousands of man-years worth of art assets to make it look mildly competitive. Hero Engine also requires extensive programming of the server-side in a proprietary language called HeroScript. I have used Hero Engine (in the form of their indie cloud option, "Hero Cloud"). There is no non-programming server solution for MMORPGs. The best, most complete 3D MMORPG servers are Hero Engine and Electrotank ES5 (http://www.electrotank.com/es5.html), both of which require advanced programming experience and tons of work. I have spent years researching MMORPG development, and there is no easy or cheap route.

However, I am not telling you not to make an MMORPG. Instead, what I came to find was that web games were the way for me to go. Browser-based PBBGs ("Persistent Browser-Based Games") are extremely hot right now and for the foreseeable future, and they can cut down on one of the most costly parts of MMORPG development: art asset creation. They can range from text-based to 2D animated, and everything in-between. They are also, by nature, cross-platform since they are part of the Web. They are also more accessible, and allow for easy integration with Facebook, Google+ and other social networks to help get the word out about your game. 

You will have to do some programming, no matter what route you go, but with a PBBG, all that is required is fairly basic programming skill in PHP and/or Javascript, and a bit of basic HTML and CSS. The workload would also be 1/20 or less what a 3D client-based MMORPG and server would be. I am a moderator on a forum where people are creating browser-based MMORPGs all the time (http://indie-resource.com/forums/index.php). PBBGs are doable for one person or a small team, and there are many out there that prove that. You can create a world that is engrossing and the successful ones can amass well into the millions of players. Urban Dead (http://www.urbandead.com/) is an excellent example of a game made by one person. There are 1.5 million players on it right now.

If you do decide to at least investigate this option, you could check out New World Engine for text-based MMOs (http://www.nw-engine.com/) all the way up to Isogenic Engine (http://www.isogenicengine.com/) for 2D animated MMORPGs (it doesn't have to be isometric, despite the name of the engine). I know both of the engine creators very well, and they are very passionate and offer tons of help to new users of their engines. Both would require some programming ability, but games made with it are very doable, and complete-able, something a 3D MMORPG engine cannot say when it comes to indie developers. If neither of these fits what you want, I have created one of the most complete lists of PBBG engines out there (http://indie-resource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=4898) and most of them are free and open source!

Best of luck! :)

Edited by dacypher22, 14 January 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#18 alikim   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

When I first got into game development

Very useful info, thank you!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS