• Create Account

Flexible Muscle-Based Locomotion for Bipedal Creatures

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 ambershee   Members   -  Reputation: 524

10Likes

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

I thought this was pretty neat and had some potentially interesting applications / ramifications - so I decided to share it. It's a muscle based locomotion / animation system that procedurally generates appropriate gaits for bipedal characters and allows them to compensate for external stimuli to a minor extent such as slopes or collision. I'd love to see this evolve further!

Video:

White paper:

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~geijt101/papers/SA2013/SA2013.pdf

Sponsor:

#2 Giallanon   Members   -  Reputation: 1187

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

Impressive

#3 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9880

1Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

This showed up in my facebook news feed this morning. I'm especially impressed at how the little dinosaur developed a kangaroo-like leaping gait at high speeds.

The relevant paper is available here. I'm really tempted to try and implement something along these lines...

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#4 Giallanon   Members   -  Reputation: 1187

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

What about performance? Is it usable in real time?

#5 ambershee   Members   -  Reputation: 524

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:11 AM

I wouldn't expect it to be useable at run time. I suspect the solver requires quite a few iterations to get it right, and that each iteration is in itself a processing intensive operation.

#6 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3060

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

This is... wow! Just WOW!

Some years ago I was also thinking at stuff like that, if we eliminate the detail of how muscles generate forces, there could be a way to just solve the forces right? Well, it turns out it would have been quite some work!

The genericity of the algorithm is impressive.

#7 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9880

1Likes

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

I wouldn't expect it to be useable at run time.

The evolution of a viable controller is an offline process, almost certainly. Though given that their controllers seem to be robust in well under 1,000 generations, that's going to be a pretty quick offline process.

Once you have evolved a stable controller, applying it at runtime should be entirely feasible.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS