• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Know a game developer without a degree?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Secretmapper   Members   -  Reputation: 869

0Likes

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

Hey guys, I'm in the process of creating an article.

If you are, or know of any game developer without a degree, I would love to get in touch.

Please do post below!

I already have a compiled list of superstar game devs without a degree, but I want to expand my list.

Sponsor:

#2 Grimshaw   Members   -  Reputation: 657

1Likes

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I am a game developer , I don't have a degree, but I am still starting (about to release my startup company first game). Don't know If I can be useful or not :)

Indie Game Developer - Daeva Theory Studios

Twitter - Facebook

Next

Terra - rise of mankind

Previous

SFML Game Development (Book)

#3 ambershee   Members   -  Reputation: 528

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

I don't have a degree, but I've still worked as an engineer on console games (Fable / Gears series). These days I've migrated more into technical design and I'm a little bit outside of games in the main day job, more concentrating on game-like VR.

#4 lask1   Members   -  Reputation: 819

0Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Indie game programmer and programmer(digital signage) in my day job. Only 19 and do not have a degree. I work with OpenGL all the time at my day job still which is awesome!

#5 HScottH   Members   -  Reputation: 512

1Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

Indie game developer, working on my first title.  I've been a professional programmers since around '90, with no degree.  Game dev is just a hobby for myself at this point, but I have worked for governments, multi-national corporations and others professionally.

Having interviewed hundreds of people throughout my career, I don't even look at their education any longer, save for the part where they talk about their focus or thesis work.  I've interviewed MIT Ph.D's who couldn't talk CS for 20 minutes without repeating themselves :|

#6 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 10675

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I've been programming as a hobby since 1992. I'm an indie in my spare time.

#7 Blaveloper   Members   -  Reputation: 139

2Likes

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Degree? No.

Game developer? Yes.

IMO you should only get a degree in game development to enlarge your chances for contract work.

If you're your own boss and you have years of experience however, I don't see the point of getting a degree.

In fact, I tried getting a degree for game programming, in which I failed because I'm much better in actually doing it rather than showing what I know about it on paper.

I can easily prove I'm an excellent programmer and that I can learn new stuff very easily when I programme what I have to do.

But if I need to answer questions on paper to show what I know, I'm always doomed.

And since most exams were multiple choice questions, you can perfectly see why I failed.

Long story short: you don't need any degree to claim the "game developer" title.

When developing for PC or mobile, you most likely don't even need to be a company.

#8 Nyphoon Games   Members   -  Reputation: 304

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

I've been developing games for more than six years, but at 18 I'm only entering University. Let me know if you want any help! :)

#9 kunos   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2207

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

me too me too :)

No degree.. game dev here :)

Stefano Casillo
Lead Programmer
TWITTER: @KunosStefano
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

#10 TouchMint   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

I am a now officially a game developer(as of my release last night) and have no degree in game dev (I do have one in information systems and networking)

Just released adventure to fate and its currently topping the charts (103rd overall on Apple App Store) I would love to do an interview about it

#11 John Farrell   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:12 AM

Well, that's a harsh truth but there are people who are much more good and what they keep on lacking is the one thing ........ It keeps striking then back again and again but they really work out in the first place. 

John Farrell

Technical Consultant

Rapidsoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

#12 Jouke1988   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

I'm 25 currently, dropped out of four educations, only finished one in the end. Most my time was spend studying the various aspects of life, cause i find specialization a poor attitude towards education. And so i became a rather jack of all trades, for that, game design was a natural cause of my learning. Of course as society stands now, you ought to be inspected, for i have seen to many mental coaches, IQ tests and shrinks for my taste.

In the end its rather about who you are, and where you can find yourself in as a human being. Education doesn't stop after college after all.

#13 zahra   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:48 AM

i am a 30 years old indie game developer and dont have any game design related degree.

#14 gautamn15   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Do you want to know game developers without a degree or do you want to know game developers who don't have a game development degree. 

There are plenty of both. 

#15 Navezof   Members   -  Reputation: 1266

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have (well, in three months I will have) a degree in computer science (which is kind of general programming and leading project) I didn't really have any official formation in game development. What I learned in Game development I learned by myself. But now I'm working at Ubisoft, so, does that count?

#16 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8282

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

Know of any game developer without a degree?  Start with John Carmack - they don't get much higher-profile than him.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#17 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22783

0Likes

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

Please check the topic start date before replying to messages. 

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

PARTNERS