• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Hobbies for game developers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic

#1 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6624

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Greetings,

It occurred to me a few months ago that everything I do has something to do with the computer, or technology, or something connected to the internet.  I stare at a computer all day long, and then go home to work on my own code.  When not working, I'm reading on a kindle, watching movies on Netflix, streaming music, or playing games on my phone, iPad, PS3, PC, etc...  Oh yeah, and I like to play poker... online...

So I decided to find some kind of hobby that doesn't involve technology.  I have started brewing my own beer.  I am enjoying it, and it is nice to get away from the technology and do something in the real world.

So that got me thinking: what hobbies do you guys do that don't involve technology?

Edited by Glass_Knife, 14 January 2014 - 10:37 AM.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Sponsor:

#2 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3159

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

You should be thinking of how to utilize technology in beer brewing instead.

o3o

#3 minus4th   Members   -  Reputation: 594

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

I attend a weekly Game night with some friends where we put away our devices and sit down to some classic board games or maybe a card game here and there. It's nice to enjoy a good game with someone face to face as opposed to staring at a computer screen. 

That and I make sure to take at least 5 hours a week disconnected and reading a good old book in a room with absolutely no computer, tv or phone near me.

*** Why'd you run away? ****** Don't you like my... style***

#4 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2336

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

I build LEgo stuff, but that's a bit technology related.

I played the drums for 5 years in a metal band.

Did paper modelling, but that's a bit technology related too.

I Finland, I used to take long (10-15 km) walks every 2 or 3 days, and swam in a nearby lake and lied on the shore for about 1-1.5 hours every day. I also cooked every day, and sometime I still prepare relatively complex meals (2-4 hours a time).

Now I'm reading Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe series.

Edited by szecs, 14 January 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#5 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6624

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

I Finland, I used to take long (10-15 km) walks every 2 or 3 days, and swam in a nearby lake and lied on the shore for about 1-1.5 hours every day. I also cooked every day, and sometime I still prepare relatively complex meals (2-4 hours a time).

I will take a guess as say you're not married...  My wife would never give me that much time.  

Edited by Glass_Knife, 14 January 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#6 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2336

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

I will take a guess as say you're not married...  My wife would never give me that much time.  

I'm not, but I live with a girl with a romantic relationship. The first and the last point applies now. We don't have a kid though.

#7 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 10555

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

I have some programming-related hobbies -- software rasterizers, retro-assembly (Z80, 6502), and I'm starting to take a shine to cryptography. Also embedded systems, and I really want to start playing with FPGAs.

Art -- I used to draw a lot in high school but dropped it. I've made it a resolution this year to draw more, with character-a-week as my goal. The idea I have is to think about a character I've invented, and then from that do the character design -- really think about what that character would look like, and draw them into a scene that speaks to their personality.

Fitness -- I've been off the wagon for a couple weeks, but when I'm good I do 60-90 minutes of cardio nearly every day. On light cardio days I add in some light weightlifting. Luckily I save time travelling to the gym by having a small gym at home (in a way-to-small-to-hold-a-gym-apartment). Another resolution I've made this year is to turn in a decent time in a half-marathon by fall -- I'd like to aim for a time under 1:45, but I'd be pretty happy under even 2:00.

Music -- Unfortunately I don't play much aside from a bit of RockSmith, and its not really a 'hobby' but I go to a lot of shows here in Seattle. When I go out, I'd rather go see a concert than just about anything else, and luckily Seattle has one of the better music scenes in the country, and attracts a lot of touring bands.

throw table_exception("(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻");

#8 jHaskell   Members   -  Reputation: 1292

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I have quite a few hobbies that get me away from my computers.

Snowboarding

Hiking

Whitewater rafting and canoeing

IDPA and USPSA target shooting

bird hunting

SCCA autocross

I've also started dabbling in archery and sailing as well.

It may sound like a lot, but the reality is most of those things I only get out and do a few times a year each.

#9 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 38528

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

I recently got into radio-controlled internal combustion buggies (methanol/nitromethane glow engines).

If I was born a few decades earlier, then the hacker in me would've likely ended up as a mechanic or something rather than a programmer, so it's fun playing with 'real' machines instead of virtual ones.

#10 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 2812

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

I used to do muay thai every day after work.  So it would be code for 8 hours, then go swing some punches and kicks at things or people for about 2 hours, then home to rest.

I miss it, but it's probably better for my brain to not get hit in the head anymore.

#11 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 17475

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Bass guitar, baby.

I find that playing music scratches a very, very similar itch to R&D programming.

#12 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18950

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

I builds me some LEGO® Technic™.
134920_10151086820176470_922220538_o.jpg

I draws me some pencil-and-paper portraits.
japanese_model_wip_1_by_l_spiro-d1cts02.

I plays me some angry mad piano.
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

L. Spiro

#13 Khaiy   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1605

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

Reading, gardening (especially bonsai trees)and board games are my big non-screen hobbies.

#14 Code Fox   Members   -  Reputation: 2259

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Does "playing" MineCraft so I can build RedStone devices count as a hobby ?

Purly "non tech" hobbies I have ( but do not do often ) would be:

Photography {link} {link}

Taking long walks

Building crappy dioramas

Edited by Shippou, 14 January 2014 - 05:01 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess,

but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

~ Emo Philips

#15 Orangeatang   Members   -  Reputation: 2298

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Bass guitar, baby.

I find that playing music scratches a very, very similar itch to R&D programming.

Amen :)

#16 FableFox   Members   -  Reputation: 552

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

Watch movies / films / documentaries.

Listen to music. Seriously. I'm not saying listen to music while doing other stuff, but totally sit down / lie down and LISTEN to music. Really appreciates it.

I used to do jigsaw through. But I moved away from where I can buy it cheaply...

Fable Fox is Stronger <--- Fable Fox is Stronger Project

#17 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1134

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

This still involves technology, but I build my own Quadcopter. Of course you need to program it, but it's more work to build it. It's fun.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

#18 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 24367

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

I'm on the computer loads and loads - basically the entire day, though I do a mix of work on here (reading, programming, and tile-art) besides entertainment.

I like to do some limited baking of desserts. Mostly cookies. And mostly I eat them before I get to the actual 'baking' part.

Usually I just find a nice place to pace around in-doors (little foyer/hallway area), and pace for an hour or two (or sometimes alot more), letting my mind wander over a vast range of things - game mechanics, world design, fictional lore, past movies I've watched, my hopes for the future of the business I'm trying to start, and things like that. Sometimes I pace for just 5-10 minutes, a dozen times in the day, and sometimes I pace for hours-straight. It really confuses house-guests and visitors.

I sometimes go for more exercise-focused walks outdoors, mostly to counter-act all the raw cookie-dough eating, so this is more of an anti-hobby.

If you're going to choose a hobby for yourself, might I suggest choosing one that directly benefits (beyond the entertainment) you as a side-effect? smile.png

Whether it's your physical health, your continuing education through a subject of interest (history, physics, computer hardware, whatever), making something you sell (painting, for example), learning to make music (a skill you can later repurpose towards your game development, maybe), household maintenance, furniture-crafting, etc...

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#19 Ectara   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3089

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

Hrm... I... uh... read? Seems I'm wired to the core.

#20 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6624

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:14 AM

I plays me some angry mad piano.
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

and that's fantastic.  I used to be a professional musician, and I played piano.  I do love playing, but I'm more of a Jazz guy.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS