• Create Account

iOS game - making it in other languages?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 s0ckman   Members   -  Reputation: 143

1Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of developing my first iOS game tongue.png

In terms of $$$ and Sales, is it worth making an iOS game available in languages other than English?

Or do other countries generally purchase games that are available in English only anyway?

Sponsor:

#2 d4n1   Members   -  Reputation: 423

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

If you want a complete product then targeting other languages is good.  I would first start with one language, try and get a prototype up and running and out the door.  You wont be a million off your first game, even if it targets Klingon as a language.  Try and focus on how iOS works before you take on a much bigger scope than what you are capable of doing.  Good luck with your game!

#3 Dezachu   Members   -  Reputation: 348

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

I can't speak from experience but my company's recently released game that's played in other languages by 60% of the users. Definitely go for it - you never know where it'll became flavour of the month ;)

Studying BSc Computer Games Programming @ De Montfort University, Leicester.

On a year long placement as a Junior Programmer at Exient Ltd, Oxford (worked on the recently released Angry Birds Go!) :)

#4 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5753

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of developing my first iOS game tongue.png

In terms of $$$ and Sales, is it worth making an iOS game available in languages other than English?

Or do other countries generally purchase games that are available in English only anyway?

it depends on the game, if it is very text heavy you might benefit by translating it to other major languages such as Spanish.

If it is a word game you probably want to target smaller languages as well.

Edited by SimonForsman, 15 January 2014 - 09:00 AM.

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#5 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2116

2Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

If you decide not to localise your title for your first release, then I've heard advice that at the very least you should get your iTunes product description translated competently into EFIGS.

Edited by C0lumbo, 18 January 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#6 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8642

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

sock, I moved your question to the Business forum, since you were not asking a For Beginners question.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#7 s0ckman   Members   -  Reputation: 143

2Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Thank you for all your kind advice. Looks like I'll release a basic version first, see how it runs then decide from there.

and tnx Tom, I'll do my best to post it in the correct forum next time.

#8 KoMaXX   Members   -  Reputation: 253

2Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

One more piece of advice:

If your players like the game, they are most likely willing to help!!
I've had great experiences with crowd sourcing for an app project (not a game). What we did there was checking for the device's language and when it wasn't one we already supported showed a button saying "Translate for free updates". This then lead to a page where we listed all strings in the app, a textfield beside each one and a submit button (which simply sent the result to our servers).

Worked fantastic and is now translated into 26 languages.

Just be aware of trolls and check the translations for swear words...

Go on, feed your brain: http://poroba.com/flip/flipz.php

#9 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6301

1Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Depends on the product.

Other factors can come in the way, such as word games, where finding an appropriate dictionary would be an issue.

The amount of text is also relevant. 

Simple games tend to do well when localized, but the cost of localizing larger products (from a LOC standpoint) can greatly diminish the gain.

What's your game about?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS