• Create Account

SDL and DirectX11 for 3D Games?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zero_Breaker   Members   -  Reputation: 363

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hi guys.

I have a question regarding SDL and DirectX11? Would using SDL as the window for DirectX11 be a good idea?

I am planning on making a third person game with one actor and a terrain with the actor as a base for later ideas, i plan on using SDL as the window for DirectX11 to render to. Will i be limited by doing simple graphics if i use SDL as the window for DirectX11?

I don't plan on using Open GL because currently it does not have good enough tutorial's for me to understand what goes in it while DirectX11 has better tutorials and support. I plan to learn Open GL after learning DirectX11.

Any help would be greatly aprreciated as always.

Sponsor:

#2 ericrrichards22   Members   -  Reputation: 763

1Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

I haven't used the newest release of SDL, but the older stable version (1.2?) had the limitation that it only supported a single window.  For most games, this is not a real issue.

SDL works pretty well as a simple wrapper for the Win32 window creation and input (mouse & keyboard) APIs.  I haven't checked in on the state of the world of DirectX & SDL tutorials lately, so I don't know exactly what is involved in standing up DX 11 with SDL, but with DX9 it was quite straightforward.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

#3 Zero_Breaker   Members   -  Reputation: 363

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I think i may use Allegro rather than SDL because there seems to not be as much support for SDL as there is for Allegro. I also heard that Allegro supports D3D/DirectX Better and explains how it is implemented.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS