• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Is using Java a good way to create a game?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Monskey8   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

I've recently started learning Java, and seem to be picking it up quite well. I know that there are many games written in Java, and was wondering if this was a good choice to create my first game. I'm leaning towards a 2D RPG/Adventure game.

Sponsor:

#2 EarthBanana   Members   -  Reputation: 974

4Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

yeah java is legit for making games - either using game/rendering libraries or making your own

also it is a good beginner language as it does garbage collection for you - it also can be fairly powerful (used to make minecraft with opengl)

Edited by EarthBanana, 17 January 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#3 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19064

4Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

Java is just fine for making games -- given you've already started and are making good progress I'd strongly suggest sticking with it.

#4 CJ_COIMBRA   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 814

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

Java is fine as any other language to make your first game, but a RPG game isn't in my opinion.

#5 boogyman19946   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

1Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Java is fine as any other language to make your first game, but a RPG game isn't in my opinion.

That's a rather particular genre that this general purpose language can't seem to handle correctly. Why do you think so?

EDIT: Oops, Sorry, I totally misread that post. I thought you were saying that Java isn't good for RPG games, but I understand hope (otherwise the question stands :D) that this is not the case. Thanks AlanSmithee for point that out!

Edited by boogyman19946, 17 January 2014 - 11:55 AM.

"If highly skilled generalists are rare, though, then highly skilled innovators are priceless." - ApochPiQ

My personal links :)
- Khan Academy - For all your math needs
- Java API Documentation - For all your Java info needs :D
- C++ Standard Library Reference - For some of your C++ needs ^.^

#6 AlanSmithee   Members   -  Reputation: 1030

1Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

That's a rather particular genre that this general purpose language can't seem to handle correctly. Why do you think so?

He was probably referring to the "make your first game" and not the coding language ^^ (as in a RPG might not be the best genre to try as your first language) I don't have any opinions on that though.

Edit* Maybe you were just making a joke boogyman.. Wouldn't be the first (or last) time sarcasm got the best of me over the internetz lol

Edited by AlanSmithee, 17 January 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#7 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4821

3Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/general-programming/java-games-active-rendering-r2418

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/general-programming/java-games-keyboard-and-mouse-r2439

These will get you started.  Also, check out:

http://www.cokeandcode.com/info/tut2d.html

Enjoy!

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#8 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1528

1Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

If you are not planning on reaching AAA quality of your game and don't want to get the max out of your gear, Java is perfectly fine.

#9 Monskey8   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Wow, thank you all for the excellent responses. I'm following several different tutorials to not only learn Java, but more specifically, to learn how to use Java in OpenGL and LWJGL. As for the graphics, the tutorial I am following is basically saying the best way is to use openGL. Does this mean that I won't be drawing any myself, but making the program draw them?

#10 EarthBanana   Members   -  Reputation: 974

4Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:00 AM

OpenGL is an interface for the video card - so calling opengl functions is the way that you ask the video card to draw stuff - you aren't actually "drawing" anything yourself - you provide opengl with the data by calling functions and then you have it draw using that data by again calling functions

#11 Monskey8   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:32 AM

OpenGL is an interface for the video card - so calling opengl functions is the way that you ask the video card to draw stuff - you aren't actually "drawing" anything yourself - you provide opengl with the data by calling functions and then you have it draw using that data by again calling functions

Okay, and what if I wanted to "draw" characters? Would I have to be able to determine a bunch of coordinates, height, width, etc. for each character I want designed?

#12 EarthBanana   Members   -  Reputation: 974

1Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:09 AM

You would draw your character sprite sheets (assuming you are talking 2d here) on regular image formats - png, jpg, whatever - then you would render those images on to quads which will have dimensions determined by the vertices that make up the quad.. a quad consists of 2 triangles which is 6 vertices..

The process of drawing the quad and rendering a loaded texture to that quad is different if you are using shaders or not - it is at least a few pages to describe these processes but there should be plenty of tutorials on how to do this using java/opengl

basically your characters would be sections of a sprite sheet texture rendered on to the quad - you can transform this quad around the screen and cycle through your sprite sheet to animate the character

#13 Monskey8   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Okay, thank you. I will definitely have to do more research on that topic. But your explanation did help me understand the concept.

#14 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5593

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

I spent many many many many moons selecting a game engine / programming language combo that fit my criteria ( 2d/3d support, cross platform, code focused, quick, productive, good community ), trying literally hundreds of libraries and at the end of the day I went with Java and LibGDX.

Ironically, I am not even all that big of a Java fan.  After years as a C# programmer, Java feels like a warty C# to me.  The library however ultimately won me over.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS