• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Best Game Engine for Beginners?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 bangaroon   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Hello! I am wondering what is a game engine best suited for beginners? Preferably one not too expensive, since this is my first time making a video game. I've tried my hand at programming only once, and I am not that good at it. Despite my lack of ability, I'd like a game engine that requires a bit of programming so I can hone my skills. After all, you gotta practice something if you want to get good at it. ;) When it comes to price, I'd buy anything up to about $500 or a little over it. Anything closer to $1,000 is a big no for me. That's it, thank you for reading.

Sponsor:

#2 ProtectedMode   Members   -  Reputation: 1286

1Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

As you indicate you're a beginner, you may want to take a look at engines that require less coding. Maybe GameMaker or Unity (just google them) are relatively easy-to-use. Both allow you to code to expand features, but Unity requires coding to build a bit more exciting things and it may be a bit overkill for your purposes.

You could also take a look at the (totally free) Angel2D prototyping engine (just google it again...). It's made to create games fast and the source code of the engine itself is easy to understand and made to be edited. The downside of this is that it will take longer to create content-rich games. Also, if you don't have any experience in C++, you will have to learn that first, books are always a good starting point and there are many lists with recommendations on the internet.

But I want to warn you that making a game is not easy. You have to prepare to start creating Pong and Tetris clones before starting with the "real" games. Game development is not something you learn in a moment and you won't create a video game the first time you create something. Just prepare yourself for that. ;)

#3 Nightgaunt   Members   -  Reputation: 262

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Stencyl seems to be cited a lot as a good one for beginners, and you can download a free version. http://www.stencyl.com/

GameMaker also comes up a lot. They also have a free version. http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

#4 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:05 AM

Polycode

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#5 ProtectedMode   Members   -  Reputation: 1286

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

Polycode

It's not released yet and you will have to compile everything yourself, so it may not be the best choice yet...

#6 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Polycode

It's not released yet and you will have to compile everything yourself, so it may not be the best choice yet...
Yeah.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#7 d4n1   Members   -  Reputation: 424

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

I would stick to unity, it has amazing documentation along with videos about most of the core concepts of video game development.  The idea with this engine is that you can get away with doing a lot of point and click actions, but if you ever need to actually do some programming then you could always decide if you want to use JavaScript or C#, whichever you feel most comfortable in.  The software is free, the non pro version gives you access to a very nice chunk of the engine.  As you go along and work with this engine you can further your programming skills, and whenever you have a question about things like loops, conditions, etc, you can always go to jsfiddle.net and try a javascript example.  Im on the path using Unity 4.+ just learning about the basics of game dev; and I've already done 10 years of programming so far

#8 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4119

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Polycode

Polycode is awesome, but not for beginners. I myself had a real hard time to compile the library using CMake and MinGW (something that hasn't happened since the first time I compiled Allegro4 years ago). It was the only time I have seen the make command return a segfault. It is the most problematic compiling I have ever seen.

The engine itself is not simple as well, and definitely not good for beginners.

Edited by dejaime, 18 January 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#9 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Polycode

Polycode is awesome, but not for beginners. I myself had a real hard time to compile the library using CMake and MinGW. It was the only time I have seen the make command return a segfault. It is the most problematic compiling I have ever seen.
The engine itself is not simple as well, and definitely not good for beginners.
Oops. They did well using their site to make it seem easy

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#10 EddieV223   Members   -  Reputation: 1407

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Unity 3d is very good engine.  Also well documented.  They have video tutorials on there website, for programming in general ( c# ) and for using the engine's tool set.  As well as thorough api documentation for the scripting engine.

Should be easy to learn.

Edited by EddieV223, 18 January 2014 - 12:42 PM.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.1 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.1 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

#11 frankinshtein   Members   -  Reputation: 184

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

If you need 2D engine like Flash try http://oxygine.org

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS