• Create Account

interesting Games/Genres a single developer can create?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Samuel3   Members   -  Reputation: 106

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

I'm curios, what kind of genres/games in your opinion are well suited for a single developer (or a very small team) that most people (if well made) would actually enjoy playing, or that could even be commercially successfull?

for example, a mmorpg definitly isn't something you want to create as a single developer, a tower defense however is doable.

A typical rougelike (in ascii) is absolutly realistic for a single developer, but it's a genre that only a handful of people enjoy. In my opinion the same goes for retro games.

Im especially interested in genres that aren't already oversaturated. For example Tower defences can be fun and are easy to do, but because of that there are already plenty of them out there so that your game would most likely get no attention.

Some genres and games that, in my opinion, would fit these criteria:

Dwarf Fortress clones with graphics and ui - like Gnomoria, castle story and Rimworld.

Games with Rougelikes elements - like the binding of issac and faster then light.

Point and click Adventure Games

(edna and harvey the breakout or the cat lady have both been created by a single developer and both have been sold afaik)

Survival Games and Subgenres of it,

for example horrorsurvival like miasmata or procedurally generated ones (like minecraft and clones of it).

Even though games of that genre are better suited for a small team i guess.

What Genres would you suggest?

Edited by Samuel3, 19 January 2014 - 03:55 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4577

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

It's about time for another Katamari Damacy-like surprise hit to emerge, as people have pretty much forgotten about Katamari Damacy.  That's a game type that one developer with some funding for content packs could make.  I'd like to see a music composition teaching toy, that doesn't have extremely wide appeal but again is something one developer could make.  I think we're also about due for a new tamagotchi or tamagotchi/furby hybrid or furby/remote control dino hybrid, but that's as much of a hardware project as a software project.  I wonder if anyone's made an Eliza app for people to pretend to call on their phones yet.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me.

#3 Icebone1000   Members   -  Reputation: 979

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

2d platformers (cave story, unepic, dust an elysian tail, intrusions 2..-> all made by one)

Edited by Icebone1000, 19 January 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#4 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1545

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

at present, Minecraft clones are fairly popular, but as a person who has made a game generally labelled as this sort (it uses voxel worlds and similar block-types), there is hardly anyone actually interested in playing it, and a lot of random people hating on the project, ...

but, yeah, a basic MC clone probably is within the realm of what is doable by a single person at least.

marketable? well, that is another issue...

#5 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2961

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

For example Tower defences can be fun and are easy to do, but because of that there are already plenty of them out there so that your game would most likely get no attention.
I sincerely hope you're wrong! There cannot be enough TD games. Like FPS or candy crush levels...

#6 dave j   Members   -  Reputation: 581

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Games that are remakes of, or are inspired by, those from the 8 bit era but with better graphics and sound. There was a lot of innovation going on then as the genres weren't so well defined - they are a mine of unusual game ideas. Many of the games, particularly for the largely UK micros like the ZX Spectrum and the BBC Micro were written by "bedroom programmers" so would be ideal for solo developers/small teams.

Download some emulators and games and have a look.

#7 dancingmad   Members   -  Reputation: 208

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

The best suitable games for a single developer team is puzzle games and platformers, but those genres are already oversaturated... If you're looking for a genre that doesn't count that many clones, you should make a first-person puzzler.

It's challenging to make one on your own, but it's doable! Antichamber was developped by only one guy, The Stanley Parable by 1-2 people.

#8 NewVoxel   Members   -  Reputation: 301

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Just do what all the hip developer are doing these days. Create "Generic Platformer Vol. IV" slap in some 8-bit graphics and sound effects, and market it as retro and cool. Congratulations you're now a millionaire.

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass http://www.newvoxel.com

#9 nitsu62   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

What about games such as FTL?  the 2d dungeon crawl can always allow for creativity and awesomeness! Everyone loves a good, challenging dungeon crawl.

Edited by nitsu62, 20 January 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#10 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

Isn't any game possible for single dev as far as it isn't large scale?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#11 Samuel3   Members   -  Reputation: 106

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

It's challenging to make one on your own, but it's doable! Antichamber was developped by only one guy, The Stanley Parable by 1-2 people.

I really loved these two games.

Possible, Yes. But some genres are better suited then others. Some Genres just don't work so well without a lot of resources or high end graphics.

Tactical First person Shooters for example, or mmorpgs.

Classical rpgs are also quite hard for a single person, as you would need a lot of story and dialog. (but its definitely not impossible).

Your end result after spending a lot of time would most likely feel more like demo then a finished and polished game.

Games that have a higher focus on gameplay then story and atmosphere work better, especially if you are able to procedurally generate the content.

but as a person who has made a game generally labelled as this sort (it uses voxel worlds and similar block-types), there is hardly anyone actually interested in playing it, and a lot of random people hating on the project, ...

Can you provide a link? I searched your profile for a while but haven't found your game.

I guess that you have to provide a very finished game in order to make people play it, as otherwise they would simply keep playing minecraft.

It's about time for another Katamari Damacy-like surprise hit to emerge

I never played it. I also never understood it, but i guess its fun if you actually play it.

btw. I guess that creating games for android or iphone devices is another great possibility for single developers.

Edited by Samuel3, 21 January 2014 - 05:16 AM.

#12 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1545

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

I really loved these two games.

Possible, Yes. But some genres are better suited then others. Some Genres just don't work so well without a lot of resources or high end graphics.

Classical rpgs are also quite hard for a single person, as you would need a lot of story and dialog. (but its definitely not impossible).

Your end result after spending a lot of time would most likely feel more like demo then a finished and polished game.

Games that have a higher focus on gameplay then story and atmosphere work better, especially if you are able to procedurally generate the content.

theoretically, some people have used cell-shading as a way to partly get around the expectation of high-quality 3D models. I was mostly like "meh", have been using the same models for a while, even if they kind of look like crap.

3D modeling skills and similar aren't really my strong area.

but as a person who has made a game generally labelled as this sort (it uses voxel worlds and similar block-types), there is hardly anyone actually interested in playing it, and a lot of random people hating on the project, ...

Can you provide a link? I searched your profile for a while but haven't found your game.

I guess that you have to provide a very finished game in order to make people play it, as otherwise they would simply keep playing minecraft.

http://cr88192.dyndns.org:8080/wiki/index.php/BGB_Current_Status

it is the entries called "Project Mini Dump".
within the ZIP file, the main engine is labeled "engine0.exe".

depending on the specifics, it may be needed to fiddle with "resource/game/default.cfg" and similar (in a text editor), which hold current game settings (never got around to adding a proper options menu), but this is usually more needed to tweak the thing for lower-end hardware.

it also comes with full source-code, but different parts are under different terms (some parts are MIT licensed, most of the rest is under similar terms to the Valve SDKs and similar, namely the right to mess with the code, but not to use it in derivative works or for commercial reasons, ...). at least for people that aren't scared off by the mountain of C code that is the engine...

most of the assets are located in "resource_mini", but a lot are compressed via specialized compression to make the "mini-dump" smaller (closer to its raw form, it is several GB of data).

It's about time for another Katamari Damacy-like surprise hit to emerge

I never played it. I also never understood it, but i guess its fun if you actually play it.

btw. I guess that creating games for android or iphone devices is another great possibility for single developers.

yeah, Katamari Damacy was pretty cool IMO...

Edited by BGB, 21 January 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#13 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Games that have a higher focus on gameplay then story and atmosphere work better, especially if you are able to procedurally generate the content
I don't really like fps games or first person games in general or rpg games that have some sort of menu where you click to get some kind of upgrade or games that you have to click on the game world for the character to move.
I do like open world racing games and gta style games.
I'll be making a similar gta genre game.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS