• Create Account

Suggestions of android game development learning

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 P3nnyw1se   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:17 AM

I'm atm. on my bachelor of software Development. I have had 1 year of programming in Java and 4 months of programming Android..

which eventually lead to me making my own little app, learning the basic stuff about Activities and Fragments.. made a horrible GUI.

I've become very interested in game making, saw some cool stuff about AndEngine. And now I'm looking to learn about game development in android. I wanna do it the right way and don't mind repeating stuff I already learned.

I saw the AndEngine book, and read the first chapter, I didn't feel like I got enough out of it.

So I'm asking here, if you can recommend me somewhere online to learn about android game Development. Ideally I'm thinking like an online school? where you do exercises, or 300x20minutes videos.. something other than just a book.

I'm sorry if this is a Little 'too' offtopic.

Sponsor:

#2 EsmsFan   Members   -  Reputation: 402

1Likes

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

I suggest that you try the LibGDX library. It makes it relatively simple to setup and develop for Android. One very useful aspect of Libgdx is that single source works on Android, iOS, HTML5 and Desktop. So while coding for Android you can test the app on your desktop first.

#3 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19028

0Likes

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

I'm not aware of any collection of 300 or so 20 minute videos to teach you game programming.

Game programming is just one of many sub-disciplines of programming generally. You need all the design and algorithms and data structures and analysis and architecture, so learn as much as you can about all of that when you are in school. Good game programmers are first and foremost good programmers and software engineers. The fact that they work on games is almost secondary.

AndEngine is certainly an option if you want it. It is by no means the only engine out there. If it doesn't do what you want, keep shopping around.

LibGDX is a well-regarded cross platform library, and if that one doesn't suit your fancy there are a few other major cross-platform libraries and engines listed in the forum's FAQ.

There are also many minor libraries you can discover with your favorite search engine, although few are mature enough to be well-rounded, debugged, and generally useful.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS