• Create Account

Two player game between two computers.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 net777   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hi! Didn´t know if I should put this here or in the networking-forum.

I have started a game and now I want to make it multiplayer.

The game is made in XNA but I rather not use Windows Live.

Could someone Point me in the right direction for a tutorial or something.

The game is a kind of board-game where I like both players to see the board but not each others moves.

The players are on different computers.

Sponsor:

#2 gfxCahd   Members   -  Reputation: 203

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:19 AM

Here is a 3rd party network library for c#: http://code.google.com/p/lidgren-network-gen3/

It basically gives you the framework for creating a connection between computers, and sending/receiving messages.

It's up to you to figure out (among other things): what messages will be sent, how they will be encoded/decoded, and more importantly, what network architecture you will use, i.e lock-step or predictor-corrector (this depends on the type of game you are making. Predictor corrector is the prefered for FPS (as it hides lag), lock-step is the best for large RTS (less data being sent back and forth).

For a board game its even easier to create something that works. Just send the required data at the end of each player's turn. If you plan on having more than two playes I'd recommend one of the players runs a dedicated host/server (in a separate thread, of course),  for relaying the player messages to every client.

Ouch, that may cause problems. Transitioning from SP to MP requires some serious changes to your game logic.

Edited by gfxCahd, 21 January 2014 - 05:32 AM.

#3 net777   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Here is a 3rd party network library for c#: http://code.google.com/p/lidgren-network-gen3/

It basically gives you the framework for creating a connection between computers, and sending/receiving messages.

It's up to you to figure out (among other things): what messages will be sent, how they will be encoded/decoded, and more importantly, what network architecture you will use, i.e lock-step or predictor-corrector (this depends on the type of game you are making. Predictor corrector is the prefered for FPS (as it hides lag), lock-step is the best for large RTS (less data being sent back and forth).

For a board game its even easier to create something that works. Just send the required data at the end of each player's turn. If you plan on having more than two playes I'd recommend one of the players runs a dedicated host/server (in a separate thread, of course),  for relaying the player messages to every client.

Ouch, that may cause problems. Transitioning from SP to MP requires some serious changes to your game logic.

Thanks! I have a look at it.

Another thing is that an important part is that you can send messages between the players. Is it a good idea to develop both multiplayer and messaging  system at the same time?

It is kind of a multiplayer now but on the same computer. But I'll have a look at it.

Thanks again.

#4 gfxCahd   Members   -  Reputation: 203

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

The chat messages are just one of the many types of messages you will be sending between clients. You don't need to treat them as anything special. Just send them immediatelly, reliable/ordered.

#5 net777   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:48 AM

The chat messages are just one of the many types of messages you will be sending between clients. You don't need to treat them as anything special. Just send them immediatelly, reliable/ordered.

Thanks!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS