• Create Account

Very simple Java 2D graphics library?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 yannbane   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

I am looking for the simplest possible Java 2D graphics library.

The only feature I need is drawing geometric primitives: mainly rectangles that have been rotated, and circles. I also need some essential features, such as setting the FPS, creating the window and detecting when it was closed.

I will be using it for drawing a simulation that is running. It has to allow me an update() method that I can call like LWJGL, and not like Slick2D that takes this mechanism away from me.

Please suggest something for me, better yet, post tutorials! It has to be simple because I have like two days to create a graphical frontend for my application. A great example is the Pygame Python library - simple, intuitive, and well-documented.

I have tried:

1. LWJGL: definitely not. OpenGL is too complex for what I need and I don't know it.
  2. Slick2D: too restrictive, doesn't fit my model.
  3. Java 2D API: too complex, I don't have time to learn what JPanel, JFrame, JApplet, JWhatever are and how and when I should extend them, also it's very unintuitive, and with very bad tutorials.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4027

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

The only Java library I have had experience with is LibGDX, and it is very good.

But I am not the one to judge if it will fit your needs, so take a look!

#3 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1619

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

I personally like libGDX better than slick for many reasons, but you may not like it, as it is very very focused on the cross-platform aspect, which means every

project has a base project, desktop project, and android project at minimum, which can be a little difficult to manage.

What did you find restrictive about Slick2D?

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#4 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4491

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

Have you tried this:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/general-programming/java-games-active-rendering-r2418

I don't think using the Java2D graphics library is hard at all.  I agree that figuring this stuff out is difficult, but 

I did the hard work for you.  :-)

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS