• Create Account

Need Help Choosing My Path!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 TheScriptan   Members   -  Reputation: 207

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

Hello, so I really need someones opinion about my experience, and where should I start with programming. I was always distracted by other languages and game engines, and now I am struggling with what game engine/framework or programming language should I stick. I had most of the experience in C++, but I forgot some of it, then I have experience in C#, Pascal, Lua. I hate Python, because syntax there is just god awful. Anyways, I used engines/frameworks like: Unity, Blender, Game Maker, Love2D I was working with them but after some time I just stopped... So I want you guys to give me some advice where should I start again? What language would fit me best.

I am 15 years old and I want to make my carrier with programming or game programming. So please help me decide which one should I choose, I know that I have to choose it by myself because I know only what language/engine fits me the best, but still...

EDIT: What language or engine would you suggest for me to start with?

I am soooo sorry that my english is low, but I think you can understand it well. smile.png

Edited by thescriptan, 21 January 2014 - 12:33 PM.

Check out my blog or twitter for news how I am doing in the project "Learn Programming in 2 Years!". You can follow my progress, and help me! :)

My Projects:

"Learn Programming In 2 Years"

"Windows Tutorials"

"Ubuntu Tutorials"

My Games:

Moving@ IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/moving-rl

My Links:

My Blog: http://www.thescriptan.blogspot.com

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheScriptan

Sponsor:

#2 boogyman19946   Members   -  Reputation: 1042

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Don't worry about your English. We can make out the meaning just fine.

You'll probably want to do C# or Lua. They're much simpler than C++ and as far as I know they have really good support. I don't know about Pascal, but judging by the fact that nobody recommends it to beginners, I image it's not a good option.

"If highly skilled generalists are rare, though, then highly skilled innovators are priceless." - ApochPiQ

My personal links :)
- Khan Academy - For all your math needs
- Java API Documentation - For all your Java info needs :D
- C++ Standard Library Reference - For some of your C++ needs ^.^

#3 d4n1   Members   -  Reputation: 423

1Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

I would recommend asking yourself if this is the right field for you before continuing.  Something as time consuming as developing a video game, let alone understanding how programming works, deserves a lot of your dedicated time.  If you just 'stop', you won't be doing yourself much good going into this field, and I dont think that you will benefit from any of our advice.

Assuming that you don't plan on just 'stopping', you should use a language that you already know, and preferably an engine that is written with that language and/or associates itself to further expansion through that language.  For example if you wish to use Unity and you love C# and/or JavaScript then that would be a good choice, or if you like C++/LUA you could go with Leadwerks.

Furthermore, you should do some nice reading on Wikipedia and through the articles on GDNet.

I cannot however stress the first paragraph of my response enough, you need to dedicate yourself to this field, its not just a hobby its a lifestyle, a very fun one I might add.

Edited by d4n1, 21 January 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#4 Dezachu   Members   -  Reputation: 370

1Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'll probably get screamed at by a few for this, but the simple truth is that if you're serious about getting into the games industry (which I think it's safe to assume you are - you're here asking for help and you're asking about game engines, no?) then you need to be highly competent with C++. There's no two ways about. 

If you're wanting to get into programming in general then yeah, you can afford to be a bit more expansive and study other languages. But honestly I'd just dive right in and get going with C++. You said you had the most experience with it so why not carry on from there? smile.png

If you're unsure where to go from your current abilities, why not tell us the sort of stuff you understand so we can point you in the right direction? happy.png There's the standard drivel of programming requiring dedication and time but in my eyes if you're suitably passionate about it (your history with C++ at your age suggests you are) then you can ignore all of that and just drive onwards with your chosen language.

Best of luck whichever path you go down dude smile.png

EDIT: As for engines.. Don't think about them until you're competent with C++. Apologies if you are - if not, get going with some 2D games. Knowing a language isn't enough sometimes - you need to understand game structure and stuff alongside it!

Edited by Dezachu, 21 January 2014 - 01:28 PM.

Studying BSc Computer Games Programming @ De Montfort University, Leicester.

Completed a placement as a Junior Programmer at Exient Ltd in Oxford/Valletta, Malta

#5 TheScriptan   Members   -  Reputation: 207

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Don't worry about your English. We can make out the meaning just fine.

You'll probably want to do C# or Lua. They're much simpler than C++ and as far as I know they have really good support. I don't know about Pascal, but judging by the fact that nobody recommends it to beginners, I image it's not a good option.

I mentioned Pascal, because I was starting with it at the very beggining

Check out my blog or twitter for news how I am doing in the project "Learn Programming in 2 Years!". You can follow my progress, and help me! :)

My Projects:

"Windows Tutorials"

"Ubuntu Tutorials"

My Games:

My Links:

#6 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

If you learnt c++ first and forgot then refresh your knowlege on C++, then lua for scripting.
For 3d game engines, unreal or unity or leadwerks (not free but uses c++ and maybe lua ), blender for game assets.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#7 TheScriptan   Members   -  Reputation: 207

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I'll probably get screamed at by a few for this, but the simple truth is that if you're serious about getting into the games industry (which I think it's safe to assume you are - you're here asking for help and you're asking about game engines, no?) then you need to be highly competent with C++. There's no two ways about. 

If you're wanting to get into programming in general then yeah, you can afford to be a bit more expansive and study other languages. But honestly I'd just dive right in and get going with C++. You said you had the most experience with it so why not carry on from there? smile.png

If you're unsure where to go from your current abilities, why not tell us the sort of stuff you understand so we can point you in the right direction? happy.png There's the standard drivel of programming requiring dedication and time but in my eyes if you're suitably passionate about it (your history with C++ at your age suggests you are) then you can ignore all of that and just drive onwards with your chosen language.

Best of luck whichever path you go down dude smile.png

EDIT: As for engines.. Don't think about them until you're competent with C++. Apologies if you are - if not, get going with some 2D games. Knowing a language isn't enough sometimes - you need to understand game structure and stuff alongside it!

My C++ knowledge is like Polymorphism, virtual functions, OOP :)

My Projects:

"Windows Tutorials"

"Ubuntu Tutorials"

My Games:

My Links:

#8 Dezachu   Members   -  Reputation: 370

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

My C++ knowledge is like Polymorphism, virtual functions, OOP

Good, that sounds like a pretty solid basis for continuing then! 

You won't need oodles more to begin making a game then. I'd recommend looking into SFML 2.1 as a library to develop games with. Fairly simple to use and keeps all the nasty OGL stuff away from you ;) Maybe aim for some basic games to begin with and then aim upwards! There's tons of resources online for 2D game development!

Studying BSc Computer Games Programming @ De Montfort University, Leicester.

Completed a placement as a Junior Programmer at Exient Ltd in Oxford/Valletta, Malta

#9 FlyingSatin   Members   -  Reputation: 283

4Likes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Believe it or not, there is a huge difference between if you want to learn programming and make games or want to learn programming to make games. The difference being that in the first situation you are equally passionate about both game dev'ing and programming (separately passionate) and want to pursue them both. In the second situation, you are interested in programming, but this as a means to your goal to make games. I have totally separate advice for whichever one you are. Neither way of thinking is better.

If you want to learn programming and make games, then I would recommend installing GNU/Linux and using C to start making programs using legendary tools like GCC, make, GNU nano, bash, Emacs, GDB, GNU/Linux itself, etc. This is a whole different topic, but there is still something I must address. I will definitely get a lot of flak here for recommending what I just did, but honestly if you learn this stuff, everything else is just easier and not superstitious. You can then learn C++ if you want to fit in with everyone else, once your projects become too big for C (you can judge this based on what is comfortable size for you). You don't have to use C++ for large projects, it's all preference. C code is valid C++ code, but not vice versa (its like C is the inside layer of a C++ onion). Some might recommend you stick with something like Python, Lua, or Java on Windows ($indows), but if you are passionate about programming separate from games, you might as well learn the mainstays and norms of the modern PC.

If you want to learn programming, but programming is just a part of your path to making games, ignore the above paragraph. That would be torture if you really didn't want to learn the stuff. Just go grab something like Unity 3D and use JavaScript, Python, C#, etc. as a scripting language. This is a perfectly legitimate way of making games. I don't care what people say, this is the best option for pretty much all indie devs. The only reason people like me prefer writing our own code is because it is just fun, once you get the train rolling. When using a ready-to-use solution, you also get to sit back in your chair with a pretty HD 3D game after a day or two of work with pride and achievement, whereas going for a homegrown approach you can sit back with pride over your 3D (extremely buggy) game that frequently crashes and has caused you to lose half of your hair (this all after 2 months).

Overall, you have some very productive times available to you. Kids have lots of energy at your age, and they also have lots of time. Respond if you want me to elaborate on anything I said.

#10 XNobodyX   Members   -  Reputation: 132

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

You'll probably want to do C# or Lua.

One of my friends was looking to make a lua game and found this lua engine called love2d

It looks like it has all the basic parts to an engine.

#11 nitsu62   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

I think I have questions based on this thread. I have always loved game design. I grew up designing my own board and pen/paper RPGs... It's in my blood. Now that I'm learning programming(CS major/business admin minor) I'm starting to work on video games in my spare time.

I would love to develope games, but I don't want to be limited to just those jobs. I would love to assist in developing many different types of systems and maybe just work on small games in my spare time. School started me off with java, but I've also had intro classes in c/c++.

Where should I start with game development? Java or c++? Does working on games in spare time help portfolios when trying to get a job at a non gaming company?

#12 TheScriptan   Members   -  Reputation: 207

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Believe it or not, there is a huge difference between if you want to learn programming and make games or want to learn programming to make games. The difference being that in the first situation you are equally passionate about both game dev'ing and programming (separately passionate) and want to pursue them both. In the second situation, you are interested in programming, but this as a means to your goal to make games. I have totally separate advice for whichever one you are. Neither way of thinking is better.

If you want to learn programming and make games, then I would recommend installing GNU/Linux and using C to start making programs using legendary tools like GCC, make, GNU nano, bash, Emacs, GDB, GNU/Linux itself, etc. This is a whole different topic, but there is still something I must address. I will definitely get a lot of flak here for recommending what I just did, but honestly if you learn this stuff, everything else is just easier and not superstitious. You can then learn C++ if you want to fit in with everyone else, once your projects become too big for C (you can judge this based on what is comfortable size for you). You don't have to use C++ for large projects, it's all preference. C code is valid C++ code, but not vice versa (its like C is the inside layer of a C++ onion). Some might recommend you stick with something like Python, Lua, or Java on Windows ($indows), but if you are passionate about programming separate from games, you might as well learn the mainstays and norms of the modern PC.

If you want to learn programming, but programming is just a part of your path to making games, ignore the above paragraph. That would be torture if you really didn't want to learn the stuff. Just go grab something like Unity 3D and use JavaScript, Python, C#, etc. as a scripting language. This is a perfectly legitimate way of making games. I don't care what people say, this is the best option for pretty much all indie devs. The only reason people like me prefer writing our own code is because it is just fun, once you get the train rolling. When using a ready-to-use solution, you also get to sit back in your chair with a pretty HD 3D game after a day or two of work with pride and achievement, whereas going for a homegrown approach you can sit back with pride over your 3D (extremely buggy) game that frequently crashes and has caused you to lose half of your hair (this all after 2 months).

Overall, you have some very productive times available to you. Kids have lots of energy at your age, and they also have lots of time. Respond if you want me to elaborate on anything I said.

A really nice write up, thanks. :)

My Projects:

"Windows Tutorials"

"Ubuntu Tutorials"

My Games:

My Links:

#13 richardurich   Members   -  Reputation: 1187

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

I think I have questions based on this thread. I have always loved game design. I grew up designing my own board and pen/paper RPGs... It's in my blood. Now that I'm learning programming(CS major/business admin minor) I'm starting to work on video games in my spare time.

I would love to develope games, but I don't want to be limited to just those jobs. I would love to assist in developing many different types of systems and maybe just work on small games in my spare time. School started me off with java, but I've also had intro classes in c/c++.

Where should I start with game development? Java or c++? Does working on games in spare time help portfolios when trying to get a job at a non gaming company?

One of the most important things someone looks for when hiring is that you can finish things. So work on a small game and finish it. If I were hiring someone for a programming position, I'd probably pick the person that started and finished a game using an engine with absolutely no programming used over the person who started a game in C++ and never really got anywhere.

For Java or C++, it doesn't really matter. If you really need an answer, pick Java if you want to work on Android or C++ otherwise. It's a total joke to learn C++ or Java if you know the other language anyways, so it really, really doesn't matter.

#14 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8319

4Likes

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Just a note but not every C program is a valid C++ program (in fact, it's worse than that: some programs will compile both as C and C++, but produce different output in both cases). This is a common mistake, but C is not a subset of C++. Specifically, C and C++ share a common subset, that's completely different and rather misleading.

I think it's a good idea to get used to base tools like gcc, vim, make etc.. (it also tends to let you understand the process of compiling something and how things work at a low level in general) but don't hesitate to use an IDE if the situation calls for it or if you are more productive with an IDE. You should not listen to people who religiously claim you don't need IDE's, as you are not them and they are not you.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#15 ShadowKGames   Members   -  Reputation: 335

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:28 AM

I'd like to factor in choice here (or the lack of).. If you use CryEngine (With or without Mono) or Unity or Unreal 4 (let's face it, that's the future). You are going to use C#, C++ and C (Maybe Lua if you really feel like it), one for logic another for core functions and another for things like shaders. If you build your own stuff, chances are examples will be in C++ and again for stuff like GLSL C...

So if you want to get into games development, I recon the path is already pretty much pre-determined, plus there not all that different from each other.. Once you get around C# then move to C++ sure theres a fair few differences but you'll be able to find your way around and follow tutorials more easily.

#16 TheScriptan   Members   -  Reputation: 207

0Likes

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

I'd like to factor in choice here (or the lack of).. If you use CryEngine (With or without Mono) or Unity or Unreal 4 (let's face it, that's the future). You are going to use C#, C++ and C (Maybe Lua if you really feel like it), one for logic another for core functions and another for things like shaders. If you build your own stuff, chances are examples will be in C++ and again for stuff like GLSL C...

So if you want to get into games development, I recon the path is already pretty much pre-determined, plus there not all that different from each other.. Once you get around C# then move to C++ sure theres a fair few differences but you'll be able to find your way around and follow tutorials more easily.

My pc can't handle CryEngine or Unreal, it almost handles Unity soooo yeah. smile.png

Just a note but not every C program is a valid C++ program (in fact, it's worse than that: some programs will compile both as C and C++, but produce different output in both cases). This is a common mistake, but C is not a subset of C++. Specifically, C and C++ share a common subset, that's completely different and rather misleading.

I think it's a good idea to get used to base tools like gcc, vim, make etc.. (it also tends to let you understand the process of compiling something and how things work at a low level in general) but don't hesitate to use an IDE if the situation calls for it or if you are more productive with an IDE. You should not listen to people who religiously claim you don't need IDE's, as you are not them and they are not you.

I have some experience with Vim, I used it with my tablet and app called Terminal IDE, I was learning some Java. smile.png

Don't forget to check out my project "Learning Programming In 2 Years" I decided with what I am going to start, it is C# -> XNA -> MonoGame (I am learning xna firstly than Monogame, because I want to get my hands warm with it. :) )

Link:  http://www.gamedev.net/topic/652498-need-help-choosing-my-path/

Edited by TheScriptan, 25 January 2014 - 07:40 AM.

My Projects:

"Windows Tutorials"

"Ubuntu Tutorials"

My Games:

My Links:

#17 TheScriptan   Members   -  Reputation: 207

0Likes

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Now I have my livestream, if you want to catch up with me, go to this link: http://www.twitch.tv/thescriptan I didn't even thought that my pc can handle streaming! :) You all could give me tips and so. :)

My Projects:

"Windows Tutorials"

"Ubuntu Tutorials"

My Games:

My Links:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS