• Create Account

Preventing repeating terrain textures.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 SillyCow   Members   -  Reputation: 849

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

The grass tilemaps that I use for grass looks very repetitive. Basically, I am taking a single repeatable grass texture and repeating it over and over again.

I really like playing Heroes of Might and Magic 2. It's an old classic with 8 bit graphics. The thing is, their terrain tiles looks great. It's very hard to notice the repetitions. Attached are two blank maps I created with their map editor:

terrain1
terraain2

I was wondering how they achieved this?
And how would you prevent obvious repetition in a modern engine?

Edited by SillyCow, 24 January 2014 - 12:29 PM.

My new android game : Enemies of the Crown

My previous android game : Killer Bees

Sponsor:

#2 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3109

1Likes

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Create a number of different variations that tile together, and select randomly. If you wanted to get more complex, you could use a Wang tiling scheme ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_tile ) but doing so would complicate both your tile generation and your auto-tiling filler routine.

#3 phil_t   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3927

2Likes

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Create a number of different variations that tile together, and select randomly.

Yup, and also make sure your terrain tiles aren't too "interesting". The stronger the shapes/details in them, the more the pattern will be visible.

The tiling will also become less noticeable if you can add random things on top of it, like rocks, bushes, etc....

Getting more complex. you could blend two tile layers together, or vary the lighting/color slightly of each tile.

Basically, making tiles not look repeated is a bit of an art.

#4 kauna   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2519

2Likes

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

One simple trick used in 3d terrains is to sample the same texture twice with different uv scales and blend (modulate for example) the samples together. This will reduce the tiling effect considerably.

Cheers!

#5 Aressera   Members   -  Reputation: 1420

1Likes

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

In your image editor, use a high-pass filter (Photoshop: Filter->Other->High Pass) to remove the low frequencies from the textures. This will make the tiling less noticeable.

#6 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8890

1Likes

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

One simple trick used in 3d terrains is to sample the same texture twice with different uv scales and blend (modulate for example) the samples together. This will reduce the tiling effect considerably.

Yes, that is a very good approach. Simply use the uv coordinates of your geometry and use perlin noise or other to blend grass, rock, dirt, etc.. together. That with proper mipmapping will go a long way in making your terrain interesting to look at instead of an endless world of the same texture tiled over and over again.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#7 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2705

0Likes

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

Create a number of different variations that tile together, and select randomly. If you wanted to get more complex, you could use a Wang tiling scheme ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_tile ) but doing so would complicate both your tile generation and your auto-tiling filler routine.

On the other hand, placing variation features (e.g. flowers) across tile edges and corners and not only in the middle of tiles requires having more than one edge type. How far do you need to go to break the grid depends on graphical style.

Produci, consuma, crepa

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS