• Create Account

Reduce Banding on Point Lights ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Endemoniada   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Hi guys,

I'd like to try dithering my point lights to reduce the appearance of banding. I was thinking I can randomly perturb N, L, NL, or the attenuation or brightness factor.

I'm not sure how to do that though. I know I can have an array of random values inside the shader, or use a texture. What I don't know is how to choose those random values. I don't want different offsets everytime the camera moves or it will look like static on a TV.

Also, perhaps you know of a better way to reduce the banding effect ?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsor:

#2 Chris_F   Members   -  Reputation: 2462

1Likes

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Perturbing your lighting vectors will not do anything beneficial for you. You need to go from high bit depth to low bit depth to get dithering, otherwise all you are doing is adding useless noise for no reason.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/640733-direct3d-11-deferred-shading-banding/#entry5047119

#3 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3250

0Likes

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

I personally never had this problem with lighting; I found it more apparent for backgrounds and I'd try to fix it using some post-processing effect.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS