• Create Account

Engine with C++ scripting?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mustafa Can   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

Hello everyone,

Me and my friend wants to learn C++. But this is so boring with tutorials. We learned C++ a bit. We decided make a simple game for learning C++. I think this will more interesting than making those tutorials. But we couldn't find any good game engine which supports C++ as scripting engine. We also thinked about making our engine with graphic libraries but this looks a bit hard. Could you help us for selecting game engine or a graphic library?

Thanks for advance!

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 29422

3Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

You could try SourceSDK. I largely learned C++ using it's predecessor (GoldSource).

#3 exOfde   Members   -  Reputation: 809

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

You know that c++ is not a scripting language?

Perhaps you should try python instead! With pygame2.

#4 ColinDuquesnoy   Members   -  Reputation: 1105

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

Or maybe do you mean a C++ engine with a scripting language support (Python/Lua/AngelScript)?

#5 Mustafa Can   Members   -  Reputation: 118

2Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:29 AM

i know c++ isn't a scripting language. but we want to learn C++, not py,lua etc. And you are right that is a mistake smile.png

@Hodgman

Thanks for your suggestion. I will look up Source Engine. But I think 3D games are too hard for us. I think start with basic 2D platform games. What do you think about 2D platform or 3D FPS?

Edited by Mustafa Can, 31 January 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#6 ProtectedMode   Members   -  Reputation: 1164

1Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

Maybe you should take a look at Angel2D. It was made for game jams and prototyping, so some design options are not the most efficient or good ones, but I would say it's nice for beginners. I would suggest you start by extending the Actor class and slowly create some small things. But you will still need to understand C++, this tutorial was enough for me to get started with some fun parts. If you don't mind using the C-style library SDL I would suggest you take a look at this tutorial series.

#7 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1575

1Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

For C++ interpreters, there is CERN's CINT project (http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/cint) which supports scripting in both C and C++.

I really like it and use if for our expansive build system at work but I personally would not use it for creating games.

There is also Pico C (http://code.google.com/p/picoc) which looks much more usable for game scripting (though you would need to hook it up to the chosen engine manually). It is C only (no C++) but with the popularity of the component entity system these days, OOP is not really critical IMO.

If I were, you, I would do without the scripting part and look into something like Irrlicht. This is simply a 3D engine with a C++ API. Yes, a lot of people seem to not like it but frankly, the license, the ease of use and the portability of it is great for beginners.

The GoldSource engine was quite cool for mod development before Steam/DRM came along but you will need pretty decent knowledge of C/C++ before you will be productive using it. It doesn't spoon feed you unlike products like Unity or even in some respects like Irrlicht (less tutorials, documentation etc...).

Edited by Karsten_, 31 January 2014 - 01:03 PM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#8 Godmil   Members   -  Reputation: 744

1Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

For 2D C++ I'm surprised nobody has mentioned SFML yet.

#9 KnolanCross   Members   -  Reputation: 1271

2Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

The most popular seems to be SFML, you can use orx with C++ too, orx is a great engine if you like to use ini files like I do.

Edited by KnolanCross, 31 January 2014 - 02:49 PM.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

#10 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1377

4Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

Id recommend Allegro 5 + Mappy Level Editor. Cant go wrong with them

#11 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4002

1Likes

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:44 AM

You could try Enigma, it is a game engine like Game Maker that allows for parallel C++ implementation.

It is a good introduction and it is free.

#12 Mustafa Can   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hello everybody! I decided to use SFML.

But I have a problem. I can use dynamic libraries but when i try use static one i get compiling error. I am working on Visual Studio 2013. >sfml-window-s.lib(WindowImplWin32.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL': value '0' doesn't match value '2' in Source.obj
1>sfml-window-s.lib(WindowImplWin32.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for 'RuntimeLibrary': value 'MD_DynamicRelease' doesn't match value 'MDd_DynamicDebug' in Source.obj
1>sfml-window-s.lib(JoystickImpl.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL': value '0' doesn't match value '2' in Source.obj
1>sfml-window-s.lib(JoystickImpl.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for 'RuntimeLibrary': value 'MD_DynamicRelease' doesn't match value 'MDd_DynamicDebug' in Source.obj
1>sfml-system-s.lib(String.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL': value '0' doesn't match value '2' in Source.obj
1>sfml-system-s.lib(String.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for 'RuntimeLibrary': value 'MD_DynamicRelease' doesn't match value 'MDd_DynamicDebug' in Source.obj
1>sfml-system-s.lib(Err.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL': value '0' doesn't match value '2' in Source.obj
1>sfml-system-s.lib(Err.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for 'RuntimeLibrary': value 'MD_DynamicRelease' doesn't match value 'MDd_DynamicDebug' in Source.obj
1>sfml-system-s.lib(ThreadLocal.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL': value '0' doesn't match value '2' in Source.obj
1>sfml-system-s.lib(ThreadLocal.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for 'RuntimeLibrary': value 'MD_DynamicRelease' doesn't match value 'MDd_DynamicDebug' in Source.obj
1>LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'MSVCRT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
1>sfml-graphics-s.lib(RenderWindow.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__glReadPixels@28

like this. Can anybody help me?

#13 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1564

0Likes

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

The Engine I use named Maratis 3D uses C++ for it's engine. It uses LUA as a scripting language. It is open sourced and free also. The API is easy to understand.

http://www.maratis3d.org

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

#14 ProtectedMode   Members   -  Reputation: 1164

0Likes

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

The Engine I use named Maratis 3D uses C++ for it's engine. It uses LUA as a scripting language. It is open sourced and free also. The API is easy to understand.

http://www.maratis3d.org

It looks like it's got many features but does it have documentation for its C++ API?

#15 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1564

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

It looks like it's got many features but does it have documentation for its C++ API?

There was a guy on the site who started a page for the documentation of the C++ API, although on the wiki most of the API is not there (just the names of the classes and such). However, most of the names make sense as to what they do, but my issue is knowing how to implement them (knowing what arguments are taken and stuff. 

The lua documentation is more complete though. There are only a few people working on the engine right now although recently several others have become involved (I am not advanced enough to contribute on that level.

I do know one thing, that the style of the game "Gone Home" is very possible in Maratis in its present state. 

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS