• Create Account

LibGdx when to use scene2d

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 stein102   Members   -  Reputation: 485

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

I have a game I've been working on with LibGdx and it's a top-down 2D rpg and I'm not sure if using scene2d would be the right option for me or not. I have a bunch of rendering code as it is and the game works fine, but I feel like I'd be able to get more out of scene2d for some of the features I'm going to implement in the future. I have quite a few classes that render, but I feel like I've done it in an asinine way to begin with.

This is my code:

https://bitbucket.org/stein102/rscl/overview

You'll have to comment your bitbucket username so that I can invite you to view it(I'm not sure how to make it a public repo).

I've got rendering stuff in the following classes:

MapManager
PlayerEquipment
PlayerInventory
PlayerSkills
GameScreen
QuestTrackerUI
TabBar
UIManager

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsor:

#2 dmatter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3300

0Likes

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I have a game I've been working on with LibGdx and it's a top-down 2D rpg and I'm not sure if using scene2d would be the right option for me or not.

I haven't personally used scene2d before (that's my disclaimer out the way cool.png ) but my honest opinion is that you are probably good without it. Although don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with using it if you want to.

It is basically a 2d transform hierarchy (for sprites only, it appears) with an event system, so it isn't much - and many (perhaps most!) games don't actually need a generic transform hierarchy in the first place. The author of scene2d actually has some interesting comments of his own experience using it. If you already have functioning rendering code in the first place then it doesn't seem enough of a lure to me to bother re-writing it.

Built on top of scene2d is a UI library, now this might actually be something you want to use if you game needs a complex UI. It's easy to sink a lot of time into making yet another a UI framework so this could be a good productivity boost.

I have a bunch of rendering code as it is and the game works fine, but I feel like I'd be able to get more out of scene2d for some of the features I'm going to implement in the future.

You'll have to assess how well those future features map to the scene2d approach and what the alternatives are. If you think you'll roll your own exact equivalent then you might as well use scene2d. But if you think you need more/less then perhaps some other solution might be more appropriate.

(I'm not sure how to make it a public repo).

On your repo page there should be a cog/gear icon for settings on the right-hand side of the page, near the top. Within the settings there's a tickbox to say whether the repo is public or private.

#3 stein102   Members   -  Reputation: 485

0Likes

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Built on top of scene2d is a UI library, now this might actually be something you want to use if you game needs a complex UI. It's easy to sink a lot of time into making yet another a UI framework so this could be a good productivity boost.

I've been using the Scene2D UI for a lot of my UI stuff and it's been working well so far. It was a little tricky to figure some things out due to poor documentation, but I got it working.

You'll have to assess how well those future features map to the scene2d approach and what the alternatives are. If you think you'll roll your own exact equivalent then you might as well use scene2d. But if you think you need more/less then perhaps some other solution might be more appropriate.

The main thing I was thinking of that it would make easier would be how my game handles input. The game is tile-based and whenever you mouse over a game object, it should display what the object is (as well as a default action to perform on click) in the top corner of the game. I'll also need to add in right-click option boxes for items and game objects. For example, if you right click on a person, it may list: Talk to person, attack person, examine person, etc.

On your repo page there should be a cog/gear icon for settings on the right-hand side of the page, near the top. Within the settings there's a tickbox to say whether the repo is public or private.

Oh that was quite easy, thank you. This is my first time using version control, so that helps a lot :)

Edited by stein102, 03 February 2014 - 02:46 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS