• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Help with Stencil Test and Deferred Shading [SOLVED]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 moldyviolinist   Members   -  Reputation: 192

1Likes

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'm having real trouble getting my stencil test to work correctly with a basic deferred shading implementation. I'm aware there are other options, but I really need to get the stencil test working because I plan to try and use stencil volume shadows. I've done pretty much this exact implementation before, and it worked fine, so I'm really at a loss for what the problem is.

In any case, the real problem is that the stencil test doesn't seem to properly take account of the first pass depth buffer, even though depth test is on during the stencil pass. In addition, the stencil test seems corrupted when it's behind the geometry. Three screenshots below and then stencil and depth buffer grab.

stencil test ex 1.png
In this first image, the light volume that I'm rendering to the stencil buffer and then again in the light pass is behind terrain geometry. So why is it visible? 

stencil test ex 2.png
This second image looks alright from the other side, although you can see underneath the geometry a bit again.

stencil test ex 3.png

The third image shows the output of the stencil past, so clearly the geometry is ok. 

FrameStencil_0021_0099_Pre.png  FrameDepth_0021_0099_Pre.png
Sorry they're so small. It's too slow to capture with any larger framebuffer size.

Here's the rendering code:

// geometry pass
m_gbuffer->bindWrite();    // binds fbo
m_gbuffer->setDrawBuffers(0, m_num_drawbuffers); // glDrawBuffers(num_buffers, buffers)

glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
glDepthMask(GL_TRUE);

glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT);

glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE);

updateCameraInformation(m_camera_information);

world->geometryRender(m_camera_information);

glDepthMask(GL_FALSE);

// light pass
glDrawBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 + m_num_drawbuffers);   // same fbo, so same depth buffer, but different texture for light pass
m_gbuffer->bindToTextures();    // bind fbo textures for shaders

glEnable(GL_STENCIL_TEST);

glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT);

// stencil pass
        glColorMask(GL_FALSE, GL_FALSE, GL_FALSE, GL_FALSE);

glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
	glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE);

glStencilFunc(GL_ALWAYS, 0, 0);
	glStencilOpSeparate(GL_BACK, GL_KEEP, GL_INCR, GL_KEEP);
	glStencilOpSeparate(GL_FRONT, GL_KEEP, GL_DECR, GL_KEEP);

m_point_light.render();

glColorMask(GL_TRUE, GL_TRUE, GL_TRUE, GL_TRUE);

// light pass
        glStencilFunc(GL_NOTEQUAL, 0, 0xFF);

glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);

glEnable(GL_BLEND);
	glBlendEquation(GL_FUNC_ADD);
	glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE);

glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE);
	glCullFace(GL_FRONT);

m_point_light.render();

glCullFace(GL_BACK);

glDisable(GL_STENCIL_TEST);
glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE);

m_ambient_light.render();

glDisable(GL_BLEND);

Thanks for your time. I appreciate any suggestions.

EDIT:

I swear, posting on these forums just makes me think differently and I solve it easily. The glStencilOpSeparate needs to be set to GL_INCR_WRAP or GL_DECR_WRAP respectively. The WRAP portion means that decrementing at 0 will wrap the buffer to 255, and incrementing at 255 will wrap the buffer to 0. Very useful, yet my previous code that worked did not use WRAP. It must be somewhat platform dependent. Hope this can help someone.

glStencilOpSeparate(GL_BACK, GL_KEEP, GL_INCR_WRAP, GL_KEEP);
glStencilOpSeparate(GL_FRONT, GL_KEEP, GL_DECR_WRAP, GL_KEEP);

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS