• Create Account

Recommendation for a junior generalist / gameplay programmer portfolio

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 agentleo   Members   -  Reputation: 173

0Likes

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

I am currently in process of reorganizing my portfolio site  as I am looking to get into a junior generalist or gameplay programmer position and I am curious to what are some of the key programming techniques , or examples recruiters would be interesting in seeing.  To give a little background info I am a mid twenty's new grad B.S Software Engineering student looking for my first full time job in the industry.  I have 5+ years work experience outside  of the industry working in technical positions , (so I am experience working in a professional environment, but as far as industry cred I know this may mean little if anything at all. ). Currently I plan to have a few tech DirectX level demo's showing off various  rendering techniques for a side project game engine I am working on for experience. I also plan to have a  full space shooter clone game with all  the bells and whistle ( menu's, highscores, etc). All these will be done in C++ except for maybe a C# demo I may throw in to display my actionscript 3.0 skillset  with Unity Scaleform integration. I have more older projects I can use but I want to show off what my current skillset is, not what I have done in the past so I am going for a quality over quantity approach so I want to limit my portfolio  to a best of.  Any suggestions would be appreciated and if you have any leads that will be out at GDC this year I would definitely love to talk more.

Edited by agentleo, 03 February 2014 - 01:09 AM.

Just a wannabe grinding in this game we call Life.

Sponsor:

#2 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2498

0Likes

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

I also plan to have a full space shooter clone game with all the bells and whistle ( menu's, highscores, etc).

It's not clear from that whether you're already planning to, but there's something to be said for having a released game. If you can get your space shooter clone out on the Android/iOS app store, then it shows you've got that all-important finishing skill.

#3 agentleo   Members   -  Reputation: 173

0Likes

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

I also plan to have a full space shooter clone game with all the bells and whistle ( menu's, highscores, etc).

It's not clear from that whether you're already planning to, but there's something to be said for having a released game. If you can get your space shooter clone out on the Android/iOS app store, then it shows you've got that all-important finishing skill.

this is something I will consider , but I really haven't commit to it as quality of some art assets I use are not really production quality , but its not out of question for me to replace them with some production quality assets. 

Just a wannabe grinding in this game we call Life.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS