• Create Account

C# vs C++

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 shad0wDrive   Members   -  Reputation: 123

0Likes

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hey I'm just getting into game programming and I'm not sure whether to learn C# or C++. I've read a lot of articles on GameDev extolling both, so which one should I learn?

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 29383

0Likes

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

If you've not yet learned another programming language, then definitely C#, because it's easier to learn (in the long run, programmers can learn languages very quickly, so don't get caught up about "choosing the right one" right now).

If you're trying to study computer architecture, then learning C or C++ might be handy, because they let you do stupid/dangerous things, like manipulate pointers directly, and pretend that RAM is just a big array of bytes.

#3 Josh Petrie   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3110

1Likes

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

This has been asked and answered several times over on this forum; please use the search functionality available in the upper right.

Josh Petrie | Core Tools Engineer, 343i | Microsoft C++ MVP

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS