• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Going between coord systems

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 785

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:13 AM

I'm using a left handed coordinate system,but,the physics engine I'm using uses a right handed coordinate system. By now,you probably know where I'm going.

I thought that if I always pass my coords unchanged,and convert the ones I get from the physics engine to a left handed sys,there would be no problem,yet there is.

For example:

When I try to create a displacement vector like: get x position from physics engine - old_x position from my engine I just get the right movement,but inversed(moving left will actually get you to right)

So I thought,wouldn't inversing the Z coord I get from the physics engine work? No,It doesn't. Would inversing all the coords I get from the physics engine work? No,Would creating the displacement vector normally(the one that moves inversed),and then just inversing the vector work? NO!

Some ideeas?

Edited by noatom, 04 February 2014 - 04:14 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 apatriarca   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1747

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

There exists several left-handed or right-handed coordinate system. How your coordinate systems are defined?

#3 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5712

1Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

A general approach for that sort of thing is to create a transform (using 4x4 matrix) to transform one coord system to another. Then use M * (do physics stuff) * M-1

For instance:

Matrix M = transform-from-your-left-hand-to-physics-right-hand;

Matrix InvM = Inverse( M );

Vector physVec = localVec * M;

(do physics engine stuff with physVec)

localVec = physVec * InvM;

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

#4 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13670

1Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

It is also possible to use the C++ type system to help you. Define a vector type you use for your game and a different one you use to interface with the Physics system. You can provide conversion functions between them, which do the matrix multiplications that Buckeye described. That way you won't forget a conversion somewhere, because your compiler won't let you.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS