• Create Account

Suggestions for a tile-map editor?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Marscaleb   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'm looking for a tile-map editor that I could use to create some tilemaps for a side-scroller, (and then save/export said maps into a format I can read and load into my game.)

A quick google search turns up a few different options, but I thought I would ask real quick if there were any good suggestions.  Getting a personal review from someone who has actually used a product means more to me than the site itself talking up its own product.

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19373

2Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Tiled is very popular and quite capable; I've only used it for some relatively simple projects but didn't experience any difficulties and found it quite easy to work with, and it appears to be capable of quite a bit more than the simple uses I was making of it.

I used to see a lot of recommendations for Mappy as well, but I've never used it personally and I'm not sure if it's still up-to-date; perhaps someone else can comment.

#3 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21022

2Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

You might also be interested in a less tile-based and more freely-rotated and scaled map editor, like Gleed2D.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS