• Create Account

Please much needed help

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gr33nKing4207   Members   -  Reputation: 129

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

OK so I would love to persue my dream as a game developer but my problem is I've always been interested in both the art and programming side. Im a decent artist but iv also read a good amount about programming. My question is this. If I persue my dream of a programmer will I have full ability to create all the art content and animation as I desire and make it look as good as my ability allow me to when creating my game? I'm 21 and plan to work to words a cs degree when I find the right school. I'd like to begin creating a game portfolio asap tho and yes I know this means beginning with the basics like pong/tetris and work my way from there. I'd love to create a 2d adventure game like Zelda with great looking cut scenes and animation. Is this all unrealistic thinking for one person doing both programming and graphics and animation? Also like i said. Beginner programmer here. I was learning a little bit of c++ on windows and now I own a Mac. Where should I begin learning programming on it? I know I have Xcode for my IDE but what language should I try to learn for my particular interest? Continue with c++? I do own a copy of Michael dawsons beginning c++ threw game programming. Is this a good start? Any replies will be much appreciated in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 SeanMiddleditch   Members   -  Reputation: 5177

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

It's not unrealistic, though it might be harder than you think. An example of a game being made by (more or less) one person is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/523651724/legend-of-iya.

There are other examples of indie games with a single artist-programmer. Note most of these projects use tools like GameMaker as building a whole from-scratch game is a pretty considerable undertaking even for a small team of decently experienced programmers.

#3 Gr33nKing4207   Members   -  Reputation: 129

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Well thank you for the reply. I do understand my dream project will be something thats going to take years to develope but Its basically my side project I plan to work on in any free time for years to come. I'm glad to be told its not unheard of tho. I plan to stick with 2D BC of timing but I'd plan to have decently long cut scenes to illustrate my game better pehabs. All these are long away of dreams though. Because I'm a noob programmer I'm concerned with how to start on my Mac instead of with windows? What programs do I need to get started with. I was learning c++ on windows with vc.

#4 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9601

1Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

If I persue my dream of a programmer will I have full ability to create all the art content and animation

If you work solo (as an independent developer, on your own game ideas), yes. You will.  But if you're talking about getting a job in the game industry, then the answer is "probably not." 

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#5 SeanMiddleditch   Members   -  Reputation: 5177

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Because I'm a noob programmer I'm concerned with how to start on my Mac instead of with windows? What programs do I need to get started with. I was learning c++ on windows with vc.

There's not a lot of game-making tool suites for OSX, unfortunately. Unity might be your only realistic option if you are stuck in OSX. There are probably a ton of lesser-known tools out there, but I don't know of them. There's also some decent portable engines (that will require far more work to turn into an actual game) that should run on OSX including a number of Web-based toolkits. As a game developer, you might find it very valuable to install a copy of Windows via BootCamp or into a virtual machine given how many Windows-specific tools there are.

Unity uses JavaScript and C# (and Boo, though almost nobody uses that) as its primary extension languages. GameMaker has its own scripting language last I checked. A number of the small Open Source tools are built around Python or Lua or JavaScript. The Web tools of course use JavaScript. And of course you can write everything from scratch yourself using about any language you like.

#6 Gr33nKing4207   Members   -  Reputation: 129

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

If I persue my dream of a programmer will I have full ability to create all the art content and animation

If you work solo (as an independent developer, on your own game ideas), yes. You will.  But if you're talking about getting a job in the game industry, then the answer is "probably not."
Its always been the dream to work on a awesome team, but primarily solo. I feel like im a decent artist I plan on trying to get my cs degree and develope my own games on the side. I've always been more interested in programming but i think i have enough artistic ability to do both.

Because I'm a noob programmer I'm concerned with how to start on my Mac instead of with windows? What programs do I need to get started with. I was learning c++ on windows with vc.

There's not a lot of game-making tool suites for OSX, unfortunately. Unity might be your only realistic option if you are stuck in OSX. There are probably a ton of lesser-known tools out there, but I don't know of them. There's also some decent portable engines (that will require far more work to turn into an actual game) that should run on OSX including a number of Web-based toolkits. As a game developer, you might find it very valuable to install a copy of Windows via BootCamp or into a virtual machine given how many Windows-specific tools there are.Unity uses JavaScript and C# (and Boo, though almost nobody uses that) as its primary extension languages. GameMaker has its own scripting language last I checked. A number of the small Open Source tools are built around Python or Lua or JavaScript. The Web tools of course use JavaScript. And of course you can write everything from scratch yourself using about any language you like.
Thanks for all your help. I think im going to boot windows instead and begin learning python for the time being and get a little better grasp of programming languages. Thank you again for your help sir. Much appreciated

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS