• Create Account

google sketchup model as fbx using meshparts instead of only mesh

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 winsrp   Members   -  Reputation: 273

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi all,

So I have made the outmost simple tree model in google sketchup pro, and when I export it to fbx and import it in xna, the model comes out as 2 meshes, each with 1 mesh part, here is the picture of the structure and the object:

sketchupModel.png sketchupModel_full.png

I have tried grouping, and making a component, but its always the same result. I don't want to merge the 2 objects since it will remove the part of the trunk that's inside the leafs (already tried that) which in result will add way more quads than the original object (the new quads will be added in the join point of the trunk and the base of the leafs pyramidal object), and I don't want that.

Any ideas how to make the magic? 

The result should be

ModelMesh

-ModelMeshpart0 (here goes the trunk)

-ModelMeshpart1 (here goes the leafs... or the other way around, but both as modelmeshparts, and not modelmeshs each)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5070

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

I'm not familiar with XNA. However, one solution may be to make (the equivalent of) a std::vector<ModelMeshPart> for each model mesh. Import the parts, and push them onto the vector.

To render, iterate through the vector and draw each part.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

#3 winsrp   Members   -  Reputation: 273

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

well I could merge them in code on the program, but I would like to avoid doing that... but thanks for the idea.

#4 winsrp   Members   -  Reputation: 273

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

never mind... have it working now, just had to remove all groups, components, and hierarchy, and bam... single mesh, with meshparts divided by texture.

Thanks anyway.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS