Beginner needing a point in the right direction,

Started by
3 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 2 months ago

Evening all,

I've been a member of this forum for a while and not really posted anything as I just like to browse and see what others were doing/asking etc.

However I have now decided that it's time that I should maybe start asking my own questions.

Like 1000's of other gamer's I too want to make a game, I'm not talking Call of Duty level game, but something small and fun that I can play and possibly share with others if I think it's any good. Now this motion has been sat in the back of my mind for about 10 years and I think now is a good a time as any to give it a go.

I've been programming software for approx. 10 years mostly in vb6 and vb.net however over the past year or so I have looked at other languages including c#, c++, javascript and java.

I've had a search for a similar thread but can't find what I'm looking for, which is:

Where do I go from here?

I've decided what kind of game I'd like to make and the tools and language in this case Unity with either C# or Javascript

But I'm not sure what to do after that?

Do I sit down with a pad and paper and brain storm?

Do I just dive straight into coding if so, where's the best place to start?

Is there a rough guide of which order to work on different areas, eg.

1. brain storm,

2. build level,

3. add character + movement?

Any help links and advise would be great.

If you have gotten this far thank you for reading, and I appreciate any feedback and pointers you may provide.

Advertisement

in this case Unity with either C# or Java

Since when does Unity support coding using Java?

But anyway... As a "beginner" starting to code a bit using the tools you chose is one of the first things you want to do. Get familiar with them and start with some small things, think about tetris and such... You probably think at least roughly what you want to create before you start programming. But I assume you're not programming in a team or something like that, you can do what works best for you. You will probably figure this out while you're creating some examples.

If you're planning to create a 3D game, I would recommend you plan on using not too many (high quality) models because these take a lot of time to create...

There are a lot of books out there both on Unity and C# in general. I recommend choosing a good book depending on your amount of experience with Unity. I won't list any books here, there are a lot of topics and such about what books you should choose.

Thanks for pointing that out, its been a busy day, it was a typo, I meant Javascript.

Thanks for the tips,

How about going through some quick tutorial projects to get an idea how games are structured. Can I recommend the Walker Brothers site.

Hi,

The first thing you should do is to assemble your complete workflow pipeline based on game concept and design. Next you need to make extremely simple 2D single player games, probably about 3-5 of them before you advance beyond that. Focus on object oriented programming, class files, making an executable for each game, and very modular coding so you can swap sections of coding for new ones or turn modules On, Off, or manipulate them by a UI (Especially Main Menu/GUI). All of these must be established as soon as possible. You need game programming lessons in the language of choice for this. Choose only one language and reach intermediate level before adding a second one.

Most of all you have to really enjoy it! smile.png

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement