• Create Account

[SQLite3] Major bottleneck at sqlite3_step, sqlite3_exec much faster - why?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zouflain   Members   -  Reputation: 532

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Clearly I'm doing something incorrectly, because the overwhelming consensus is that sqlite3_prepare is considerably faster than sqlite3_exec, but I'm experiencing an extreme bottleneck at the sqlite3_step function.
int err;
std::string sqlstr = std::string("REPLACE INTO `Entities` VALUES(")+std::to_string(id)
			+std::string(",")+std::to_string(kind)+std::string(",")
			+std::to_string(nibble)+std::string(",")+entityStr;
err = sqlite3_exec(SQLINTERFACE.getDatabase(),sqlstr.c_str(),nullptr,nullptr,nullptr);
//...error checking code...
Runs about 50~100x faster than
//ST_ENTITY_EXPORT: "REPLACE INTO `Entities` VALUES(?,?,?,?);"
sqlite3_stmt* statement = SQLINTERFACE.getStatement(Interface::ST_ENTITY_EXPORT);
	sqlite3* database = SQLINTERFACE.getDatabase();
err = sqlite3_bind_int64(statement,1,id);
genericSQLError(statement,database,err);//error checking code
err = sqlite3_bind_int64(statement,2,kind);
genericSQLError(statement,database,err);
err = sqlite3_bind_int64(statement,3,nibble);
err = sqlite3_bind_text(statement,4,entityStr.c_str(),entityStr.size(),SQLITE_TRANSIENT);
err = sqlite3_step(statement);
if(err!=SQLITE_DONE){
}
sqlite3_reset(statement);
I've copied it verbatim, so there's a few "blackbox" functons, but they aren't responsible for the slowdown. genericSQLError does not alter parameters, or anything referenced by them - it's a utility function for error checking. The code bottlenecks at sqlite3_step, despite sqlite3_exec recieving a directly equivalent statement. I'd appreciate any help finding a possible cause for the bottleneck. P.S> Yes, all of this is in a transaction.

Sponsor:

#2 aregee   Members   -  Reputation: 881

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

I am not sure if you experience the same problem, but have you tried to wrap your bulk inserts into BEGIN / END statements?

As explained in this thread, if you don't, sqlite3 will create a transaction for each insert instead of treating all the inserts as one transaction:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3852068/sqlite-insert-very-slow

#3 Zouflain   Members   -  Reputation: 532

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for the help! ...but like I said in the PS, this is all one transaction (ie all in one BEGIN/END). Even if it wasn't, that wouldn't explain why sqlite3_exec is faster than sqlite3_step - in both cases, not framing it in a transaction would cause every insert to have its own transaction. I'd appreciate any other ideas, though.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS