• Create Account

Determining how sharply curved a mesh is at each point

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 JDX_John   Members   -  Reputation: 284

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

If we have a surface represented as a mesh with a normal at each vertex, and/or a normal map, either way so that a normal at any point can be obtained...

... how might we calculate how flat/curved the surface is at each point? Sorry for the loose wording, but I don't even know exactly what it is I want to measure! In 2D it's just the rate of change of the normal to a line, but in 3D...

It sounds like something there will be common methods used which basically give a reasonable approach. I want to apply this to the skin on a human body. For example on fingers, these are approximately cylindrical so in one direction they are totally flat but in the other they are very tightly curved. I think I'd want to take the most curved dimension in this scenario.

Any thoughts?

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

Sponsor:

#2 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8264

3Likes

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

A quick google turned up this paper: http://gfx.cs.princeton.edu/pubs/_2004_ECA/curvpaper.pdf

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS