• Create Account

any recommended free 3d engine for java to make a tennis game with animations from motioncapture

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 jor1980   Members   -  Reputation: 142

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Hi,

I would like to make a game in java to improve my java knowledge. I thought about making a tennis game that uses some animations from motioncaptures.

I want to know what free 3d game's engine you recommend me to achive this double target, improve my java and make a tennis game with some mocap.

I searched a lot about engines but i stil don´t know which one is the best for my target.

Sponsor:

#2 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

How good is your understanding of Java ?

If you are new(er) to programming, attempting to create a motion capture game will be very difficult.

There are no Java based game engines that support motion capture, that I know of, however here is some code that uses the JMF library for motion capture.

[LINK]

If you are new(ish) to programming Java, I would recommend reading this free Ebook - it is very helpful. [LINK]

Edited by Shippou, 10 February 2014 - 05:34 PM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#3 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1572

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

libGDX is straightforward, cross-platform, and free.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#4 jor1980   Members   -  Reputation: 142

0Likes

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

I am in the final phase of my preparation to make the scjp java certification, and i would like to use the knowledge achieved to practice making the game

#5 krinosx   Members   -  Reputation: 510

1Likes

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

Well, I have the SCJP and it does not prepare you to build a game... 

If you want to do a game with motion capture you must research about game programming a lot, and about motion capture and animations a lot... its not about java.... What I mean: 

If you want to make a game you will not be focused in JAVA but in game programming... java will be just a tool...

Well.. I like the JavaMonkey Engine ( jmonkeyengine.org ) but you may have to build a way to use motion capture ( maybe using the JFM Library or build your own lib ). 

If I can suggest another path: Try to build simple games, I mean.. 2d games with java if you just want to practice your java knowledge... take a look in a old book called Killer Game Programming in Java its a interesting book about java + game programming... you will learn some java facets and some game programming theory...

Good lucky with your SCJP exam!!

[]´s

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS