• Create Account

Outputting a texture from an effect

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1185

0Likes

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

Hi everyone,

I can use shaders/effects to render 3D objects, but I now want to use them to edit textures only. i.e. I want to create a shader which will take a texture as an input, apply an effect to it (for example, monochrome, blur, etc...) and will then output the final result as another texture. Are there any good tutorials on how to use shaders like this?

I should also say that I'm not looking to render the texture to the screen, I just want to apply an effect to it so that I can then sample it in my main shader.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 29712

3Likes

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:06 AM

To do this, you create a new texture that is a render-target, bind the render-target, then draw a quad that fills the screen (with your shader and input texture also bound).
A common use for this is post-processing, so tutorials about post-processing might help.
The details will vary depending in which version of D3D you're using.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS